is it safe to use real wood as a prop in your tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquarium 308

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have had a 20 gallon tank for about 15 years. Never had live plants. I want to try live plants and use a real log as a prop. Any issues in doing this. My final goal is to upgrade to a 75 gallon tanks in the near future. I want a large tank with all natural props. Thought I would try this in my 20 first. Didn't know if wood would cause a problem with water balance or not. Figured I would submerge the wood for a couple days in a bucket by itself so any critters would be flushed out. For plant health I plan on using the appropriate lights and the liquid carbon dioxide additives. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks

What kind of log?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not sure. Probably grab something out of the yard and pull the bark off to make look like drift wood or I would try a small stump and hollow it out to make it look like a a dead tree stump. Probabaly oak or gum or dogwood. Thats what is in my yard.

Yah, so long as it's hard wood, I'd boil,.bleach or bake anything from the yard, you'll want to do some research and make.sure it won't leech toxins or harbor any nasties. I'm not an expert in all things wood..i just stayed at a holiday Inn express last night..

This guy from another forum found this stump and couldnt resist lugging it back for a tank....

Brookster you've seen this wood but now its planted

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415873863.900394.jpg

Its an amazing piece of wood and i think he spent ages cleaning it but shows what can be done

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yah... still drooling...

Ok. I assume it can be done. Figured if I can find some now clean it up and let it sit for several months then hopefully it will be good to go.

Back
Top Bottom