Is it time for coral yet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matthappe

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 25 g tank with about 20 lbs or more of live rock and it has been set up just under two months. I got a little ahead of myself and got a couple clowns a week back. Also a couple weeks ago I started getting Coraline algae on the glass and the lr and earlier this week I took a magnifying glass to the glass and noticed a lot of what i think is phytoplankton that hitch hiked. I have checked all of my levels nitrite nitrate 0amonia 0 etc. this is my first reef tank and i don't want to rush anything but do you think it is ready? I am looking to buy some yellow polyp coral. I have read that its good to start off with.

matthappe said:
I have a 25 g tank with about 20 lbs or more of live rock and it has been set up just under two months. I got a little ahead of myself and got a couple clowns a week back. Also a couple weeks ago I started getting Coraline algae on the glass and the lr and earlier this week I took a magnifying glass to the glass and noticed a lot of what i think is phytoplankton that hitch hiked. I have checked all of my levels nitrite nitrate 0amonia 0 etc. this is my first reef tank and i don't want to rush anything but do you think it is ready? I am looking to buy some yellow polyp coral. I have read that its good to start off with.

As long as all your levels and lighting are adequate your ready! Yellow polyps are easy starters, along with mushrooms, and zoa's. I also have purple war coral which is easy to care for as well.

I forgot to add in that i have a 20 watt led 14000k. Will that be enough lighting for coral placed at the middle of the top half? Also my tank cycles the water 10 times an hour will that be enough for coral?

matthappe said:
I forgot to add in that i have a 20 watt led 14000k. Will that be enough lighting for coral placed at the middle of the top half? Also my tank cycles the water 10 times an hour will that be enough for coral?

I would increase the turn over rate to atleast 25 times. Not sure about the lights though

Back
Top Bottom