is metal hallide necessary for coral & anenome reef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brett7768

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
can i get away with using a PC w/ 2 96w bulbs? or do i have to get a metal halide set-up? my tank is 2' tall and i want to stock it with corals and other photosynthetic stuff. thanx 4 your help.

Depends on the corals. 2x96W on a deeper tank may not penetrate to the bottom very well. Perhaps a focused T5 fixture would be better, or a 250W MH

It really depends on your tank depth. Many people who have tanks that are not very deep do fine with just PC lighting - and these people can keep clams, corals, anemones, all the light sensitive inverts that halide owners can.

If you have a deep tank though Metal Halide lighting will penetrate much better. Personally I believe if you have both the wattage per gallon and spectrum it doesnt matter what type of light you are using to create it. For a coral and anemone tank I would have at least 5 watts per gallon of water. For a 2 foot tall tank though you may be pushing it with 2 96 watt PC bulbs. In fact depending on how many gallons your tank is I wouldnt try that.

theatrus, do you have any problems with heat from the lights? I'm looking at getting the orbit extreme 4-130watts...(i found a really good deal on one), but i'm worried that there will be too much wattage for my 55 gallon which will create an excessive heat problem.

My lights are 12" from the top. I rise 2deg F during lights on during the day. I do have a chiller, but it only fires up in the summer when house temperatures can hit the mid 80s.

cool, hopefully i'll be alright. i guess i'll try setting up the lights and running them for a few days before actually starting the tank up, and see what the temp does... appreciate the help.

Back
Top Bottom