Is my cycle complete or possibly stalled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bambithegirl

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone,

For about 10 days now my 4ppm ammonia has been going down to zero in about 12 hours. Nitrites have been through the roof too. Had water tested at LFS for nitrates which were also off the charts last week and my PH was 7.

I went away for 2 days and unfortunately couldt do readings or add ammonia. Needless to say when I got home last night ammo and nitrites were 0.
I added some ammonia to get it up to 4ppm which was about 1ppm this morning. My nitrites are down and currently 0.3 but is that just because I skied 2 days of adding ammo or is it because I am nearing the end of the process?

Advice please. :)

Add some damsels to get the cycle moving , or if you don't want to wait , throw in a bottle of dr Tim's and add fish right away , that's what I did and I never had a problem with any tank

Add some damsels to get the cycle moving , or if you don't want to wait , throw in a bottle of dr Tim's and add fish right away , that's what I did and I never had a problem with any tank

Damsels are saltwater fish, aren't they? And I don't think dr Tims is available here.

It's unlikely the cycle has stalled, I would say just continue as you are. Keep the bacteria fed by dosing ammonia, all should be well.

It looks like you are getting close to the end! Just give it some time. If your nitrites get over 5ppm or nitrates over 40ppm do a water change to prevent the chance of the cycle stalling. Otherwise it sounds like you are really really close to end. At the end you dose up to 4ppm. Then test again in 24 hours. Give it the full 24 hours if your ammo and nitrite are 0 and your nitrate are at least 5-10ppm your done! Do a 90% water change and then add fish.

Back
Top Bottom