Is my golden snail/mystery snail deceased

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caitrob

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!

I was wondering if my mystery snail has died? She has been in her shell for over a week now and has been having this stuff (see in photo) come out of her shell. Today I finally noticed that the goop is the colour of her “skin”.

She hasn’t been eating or moving even when I’ve put her in a new tank just in case my fish was attacking her.

When I’ve touched her over the past week (excluding today) she retreats back into her shell fully and her trap door hasn’t fallen off so I am unsure on if she’s passed.

Thank you

Attachments

• 6555E948-7728-4047-AAEC-76009109509A.jpg
    6555E948-7728-4047-AAEC-76009109509A.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 17
I’ll wait for my partner to do that ���� if she stinks I’ll probably puke. Thank you.

If its retreating into its shell when you touch it, i dont think its dead. Is this the same snail as your previous thread? Its changed appearance a lot if it is.

Yes it is the same snail. She doesn’t smell and retreated again. It wasn’t long after my previous thread that she started getting darker. I assume it is dirt as the underneath of her shell is still gold? She’s also gotten way bigger since that post. I feel super bad if it isn’t dirt I tried to google and it only came up with dirty shells

If she's growing and retreating then she's alive, not dead. Unless you have a zombie snail.:eek: Just kidding.

They do hang out for long periods of time. One of mine didn't move for a whole month and I left it, not wanting to deal with the smell test. Besides, the water didn't stink so I kept putting it off. One day she moved, to my great surprise.

Anyway, try setting some food - algae tab, sinking pellets - under where she is. They can smell. That could lure her into action. And do have someone - not squeamish like you and me - do the smell test. If she doesn't smell, set her back in on top of the food. It's likely she'll eat a little then go right back where she was. Stubborn. But alive!

Back
Top Bottom