Is my guppy about to give birth? What do i do?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zaphia1

Aquarium Advice Regular
MY pregnant guppy is hanging out on the bottom not swimming much at all. She was acting normal earlier today, and my water parameters are good. Is this her giving birth? Should I isolate her? What should I do?! This is my first...

She could be getting ready to deliver. Does she look really boxy? Like she swallowed a square? If you want to try to keep as many fry as possible you can put her in a make shift breeding net. Fill a clean plastic container with tank water and put her in that. Float the container in the tank. Then remove her after she gives birth. I put lots of small holes in the plastic container, just stabbed with a kitchen knife, so water from the tank will circulate into the container. Just don't make the holes too big. You could also just make sure there are lots of hiding places for the fry and leave her in the main tank. If you have lots of plants and decor, chances are most of the fry will make it. If she is still on the bottom for more than a few days she may be sick.

She could be getting ready to deliver. Does she look really boxy? Like she swallowed a square? If you want to try to keep as many fry as possible you can put her in a make shift breeding net. Fill a clean plastic container with tank water and put her in that. Float the container in the tank. Then remove her after she gives birth. I put lots of small holes in the plastic container, just stabbed with a kitchen knife, so water from the tank will circulate into the container. Just don't make the holes too big. You could also just make sure there are lots of hiding places for the fry and leave her in the main tank. If you have lots of plants and decor, chances are most of the fry will make it. If she is still on the bottom for more than a few days she may be sick.

She isn't super boxy yet. She is round and the gravid spot is very dark. I've just never seen her sit still for so long. Heavy breathing too.

Have you checked your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels? If they are all okay than she is probably just stressed from the babies. Having a lot of fry inside her has to make it hard to breath. My mollies will lay around for a week before they give birth.

Pregnant Female Guppy

MY pregnant guppy is hanging out on the bottom not swimming much at all. She was acting normal earlier today, and my water parameters are good. Is this her giving birth? Should I isolate her? What should I do?! This is my first...

Hello Zap...

I keep a lot of Fancy Guppies and never move the females. It's pretty stressful for them. I'd get to the pet store and get as much Anacharis (Common water weed) as you can and drop the stems into the tank. It's a cheap plant, but makes for good cover for the fry. Start feeding all your fish a little more often. The adults are less likely to bother the fry if they're well fed. Change half the tank water every few days and make the new, treated tap water a bit warmer than what's in the tank. It wouldn't hurt to add a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt to every 5 gallons of new water too.

Just some suggestions from a Guppy keeper.

B

Back
Top Bottom