Is my zebra danio pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whitestone

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have some zebra danios in my tank. I have had them for around a year now, and they are as happy as can be, dashing around like normal. However, one of them is really fat and getting protective around a certain corner of my tank, with another danio who I presume is the male since he is more colorful. They all are still healthy, dashing around and eating normally. If she is pregnant do I put them in a breeding net?
thanks!!!:cool:

I'm having the same problem here too... I have 5 zebra Dino and one of them is huge. seem like she's gonna pop anytime now... I have no idea when but I hope none of my other fishes eat the egg before I get to them first. and how long before they hatch!!!!

My zebra danios just laid eggs. They hatch in a few days though a few have taken longer. They will eat their fry (babies) so you need to move them to either a breeding net or another tank. I didn't have any luck with the breeding nets and opted to move my adults as the babies were very unexpected and the eggs were mixed in with my gravel. Good luck!

I was just wondering can Zebra Dino fertilize goldfish egg!!! cause I remember reading from somewhere that they can... and thanks for the heads up bout the zebra Dino egg... I'll keep my eyes on her... and what color will their egg be when lay!!!

Yes, but they do get bigger when they become gravid. You might as well call them pregnant they're so fat.

Yes. Gravid is a better definition since ti applies to either developing young or eggs. I just don't like throwing the word 'pregnant' around because it implies that egg layers can internally fertilize, further adding to confusion.

The eggs are mostly a cream/ light yellowy orange color. If you have gravel they will fall in the gravel and you may not notice them at first. The eggs will move around as the babies eat/move. I only noticed mine because a few were up against the glass in the gravel and were moving around. Some eggs will actually appear to swim up into the water and will be eaten by the adult fish. When the babies hatch they will mostly stick to the glass the first 12-24 hoursbefore swimming freely again making them easy targets for other fish. After the first 24 hours they will try and hide in plants or whatever other decorations younahve but aren't fast enough to escape other fish. Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom