Is my zebra danio pregnate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TraceyB4602

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi, I'm not new to aquariums but I have never had a pregnant fish. I'm also not sure how to tell males from females with danio's either. I would like to be able to tell both of these things for future reference.

Right now the fish is not schooling and staying to the back of the tank. The stomach is swollen but I have not fed them yet today. I don't recall its stomach being this expanded at all this week. All my zebras were pretty active except one which always hung out behind the heater, I'm not sure if this one. I actually don't think it's him he looks to small to be him. Could it be pregnant?

As Owl mentioned, danios are egg layers. I have three females and a male and while the females get quite large at times, I've never once seen any babies. I suspect that when they do spawn, all the eggs get eaten. IME it's fairly easy to tell the difference between a mature male and a mature female. Females are much bigger and rounder. Males are slimmer and IME more colorful. My male has a lot more yellow coloring on his fins then the females do.

Comparision Pic from google:

rerio.jpg

Hmmm my fish looks exactlly like the female, but it blew up overnight. Maybe it just went through a little growth spurt. I'll just keep an eye out for a little black on the tail end.

I have danios I am trying to spawn but i even have rocks on the bottem. NO fry. I guess they all get eaten.

Back
Top Bottom