Is Our 45g Hex Tank Too Small for Dwarf Malawis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LogansMomma

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi was just pondering on what to stock my new 45 gal hex with and wanted to do some small Malawi. Was thinking on about 5 or so with a bristlenose Pleco about 4 inches currently.

Some species I wanted was:
dogtooth cichlid (afra cichlid)
Rusty cichlid (lavender cichlid)
Johanni cichlid (electric blue johanni)
Yellow tail acei
Dwarf mbuna

Would these species somewhat get along?

I'm building a pretty basic set up consisting of sand, small plants in forground, and a few large plants in the background. Few stones and gravel sprinkled over sand.... Trying to conserve as much room as possible. Tank came with a beautiful large piece of driftwood but I took it out because it took up too much room and if I can do Malawi cichlids they will need the room.

All of my tanks are cichlid tanks because my natural Ph is great for em. I don't really want to put any other fish in this tank. Don't like Molly's, tetras, etc.

Any advice is much appreciated. :)

you couldnt do all of those cichlids in the same tank, i would suggest a pair of dwarfs (apistos, rams or a group of shell dwelling cichlids). if it were say a 40 gallon breeder, which is more long then tall i would suggest maybe a group of yellow labs. but since your tank is a hex it doesnt have very much of a footprint which is most important when keeping those types of cichlids

That's what I was kind of thinking too. Just planted the tank tonight. Put the driftwood back in Cuz it looks awesome with the plant light.... I think I'm gunna have to do some more research on what species to stock with. My Ph is gunna be the biggest problem when it comes to stocking this tank I think. That and how wide it is. Never had a hex before but it's already giving me a headache lol.

I would go with the rams or apistos personally, you could do angels in that tank also since its tall it would be great for them :) which are technically cichlids ;) what is your ph?

It averages around 8.0 to 8.2. I like angels but my fiance doesn't.... Idk. We wanted alot of color in this tank because it's in the same room as our 90 south American tank. The tank(90) it self is colorful but fish not so much. We were wanting to do sort of the opposite with this one(45).

ForumRunner_20120420_134852.jpg

the 90 gal south American

ForumRunner_20120420_135346.jpg

45 gal planted hex.

ForumRunner_20120420_135428.jpg
"

We decided this morning not to have the plants so We will be updating the look once again later tonight. But that kinda gives u an idea of what were working with.
This is our 25gal quarantine tank....

ForumRunner_20120420_135752.jpg

you have really beautiful tanks! your quarantine tank is the prettiest i've seen haha :) ph will be an issue with dwarfs but if you want cichlids and you want color they are your best choice for that size tank. if you can find a tank bred dwarf then it may be able to adjust. just wondering, did you test your ph from your tap water or one of your current tanks? if you keep that driftwood in there it will also bring down your ph a bit.

Thank you! :) and yeah I tested my tap and it's the 8.2...... My tanks are around 8.0 with the drift wood. Quarantine is about 8.1. I think I'm going with just the some smaller Africans such as a peacock.... And haven't decided much else. Maybe a dogtooth... And a rusty. Maybe some yellow labs

Back
Top Bottom