Is the treatment right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjpf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone. I am new to the whole fish world. I have a planted 55G tank with a rainbow shark, 5 tiger barbs, some danios, 2 gouramies, 4 swordtails. About 2 weeks ago I noticed two of the fish had ich. I treated them with ich attack, and its gone away. However, now I noticed that the female swordtail has some white spots, and a male swordtail has bad fin rot. Is it normal for them to get different diseases right after another one? I have been putting Melafix and pimafix for 3 days now. I also performed a 25% water change before starting the new treatment, I have had the water tested at a pet store and they said the levels were fine (nitrates slightly high, but did the 25% water change like i said). SInce the Ich I have kept the water temperature at around 84. I feel so bad for the swordtail, he looks miserable! Is there anything i can do? am i doing something wrong? or do you think the current treatment should be fine? I should probably also say that I bought a Chinese Algae Eater, BUT he disappeared. I haven't seen him since I put him in the tank (about 2 days before Ich appeared). Not even during the water changes I have been able to spot him.

Hi welcome to AA!
For future reference you can treat ich with just heat.
Up the temp to 86-88F
Increase aeration
Increase gravel vacs and water changes
Leave the temp up for at least one week after the last spot is seen
No meds needed
Fin rot can be brought on by stress. Lots of clean water will be all that's usually needed to clear it up.
What sort of spots does the fish have? More ich or fuzzy growths?
If you are finished treating ich I would turn the temp back down to 76-78F.
Can you post some pictures of the infected fish?
I would advise you purchase your own LIQUID test kit to keep an eye on our parameters. What were the pet store using to test your water?

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the advice. Unfortunately the swordtail with the fin rot died 2 days ago :( but since then I have stopped all medications in the tank, and did a water change. Yesterday I actually tested the water myself and these were the readings that I got: Ph 7.5, Ammonia around 0.15 mmp, Nitrate 10 mmp and nitrite 0.25 mmp. I actually performed another water change today, and with the water change I added a bit of aquarium salt. All of the fish seem to be happier.

Unfortunately, the female still has the spots. they look like a hole almost. I have attached two pictures. I know they are not the best quality, but she kept moving!

Attachments

• 2012-05-02_18-54-49_387.jpg
    2012-05-02_18-54-49_387.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 2012-05-02_18-55-09_146.jpg
    2012-05-02_18-55-09_146.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 36
I'm sorry to hear that.
She looks like she might have an infection or an ulcer. The best thing to do is keep the water really clean and to add some salt, as you've done. If your up to it you can net her and dab some hydrogen peroxide on the area using a q-tip. That will help kill any bacteria in the area.

Thanks! I will try to do that! does it matter what the temperature is? is it better to keep it warm? or should i drop it back to 78?

Back
Top Bottom