Is there something wrong with my coral??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snoopybdb

Aquarium Advice Regular
about a week ago a bought a finger leather(?) from the lfs. for the first couple of days it's "tentacles" cam out and went in like normal. Now for the lst 2-3 days it hasn't come out and it looks "glassy". The fish store i bought it from told me it could be feeding, or it couldbe sick. another lfs told me it's not dead unless it start falling apart, and that it might not like where it is in the tank. a 3rd lfs told me that if it was feeding it would stay in that long and sometimes they take a week or longer to acclimate to the tank before they come out. What do i believe? tonight i added some iodine to my tank and moved it closer to the light, and later this evening about 1-15 of it's "tentecales" came out.
please help!
thanks

Sounds like it sheeding. The tenticles are acutally polyps. Occasionally leather corals will close up and get glassy or waxy like you describe. They are basicly sheeding their external cells. Increasing the water flow around the coral can assist in this process.

Regretfully I have to say all three of the stores where not quite correct.

thanks! funny my mom just called me(that's where my tank is) and told me that my cleaner shrimp was "cleaning" it and that the glassy looking part was "floating" up above it and and where that had come off the polyps have come back out and the half where it still is haven't come back out yet. So i said to myself i wonder if it's shedding. Now reading this confirms that. Thanks so much! :D

GOOD NEWS!!! My leather was all out today and looked better than it did when i bought it! It was just shedding. I'm so happy to know that it's ok and didn't die! :D

You might want to consider an Iodine bath for your leather. It helped with mine

Back
Top Bottom