Is there something wrong with my fish? Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lednura

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

Over the last few days I've noticed one of my guppies acting unusually, it tends to rest itself on the bottom of the tank, and I've always known guppies to be very top-friendly tank swimmers. It also seems to position itself oddly compared to the other guppies I have, but seems to be able to swim when it wants to.
I have 5 neons and 4 guppies at the moment as for a couple of months I had been experiencing problems with ammonia in my tank, but as of today I've been a week and 2 days at consistently 0 ammonia and my other levels are normal, yay! :dance: during my ammonia problems I actually lost a guppy, I had to put it to sleep due to it's unusual behaviour and inability to swim. Like the guppy I'm concerned about at the moment- the previous guppy was similarly positioned in it's body when I started to notice changes, and it also had lots of difficulty swimming and got to the point that it couldn't swim at all and would just lay at the bottom of the tank flailing its fins and when encouraged with a net to swim, it would just spiral upside down and sink to the bottom of the tank. Thinking it could've been swim bladder, I tried the pea feeding method, but to no prevail and I felt that this fish had no value of life and it was most likely very uncomfortable if not in pain, which is why I made the (very difficult :cry:) decision to put it down.

The difference between my current fish and the previous fish is that the previous fish was going downhill very quickly within a couple of days, and could not swim. This fish however, can swim when it wants to or when it's feeding time, and then returns to sitting at the bottom of the tank.

I'm really not sure what's going on so I'd really appreciate people's inputs and opinions on the matter. I'm trying to avoid putting the fish down so please don't jump to euthanasia unless you can back up why you think that would be valid. When I first got fish (my tetras) one of them was a little fatter at the time and also had a lighter tail and somebody jumped to the conclusion that he definitely had neon tetra disease and to put him down, and he is fine...there's nothing wrong with him, I've seen similar tetras and I'm just putting those small differences down to mass breeding lol.

Images of the fish I'm concerned about are attached,
Thanks! :)

17888694_10156056211089937_904228883_n.jpg

17857802_10156056210994937_1388370244_n.jpg

17888060_10156056211219937_674119123_n.jpg

17858046_10156056829549937_691153874_n.jpg

I'll start.......

Small amounts of ammonia can do serious damage to some fish.
The picture links appear not to be there. (Maybe that's me)

Got any more info on the tank, size etc.

I don't know much about guppy but the science is the same.

Images aren't working
Size of the tank?
Parameters?
Cycled?
five neons isn't enough neons to school, six neon tetras (or tetras period) are needed minimum.
Feeding shelled cooked peas to fish is an old wives tail (although some claim it "worked") and isn't 100 percent healthy for the fish.
LOL sorry j I didn't see your post with pretty much the same things, my apologies. Hey to bad there isn't a like button on here

I said that very same thing about a like button earlier!
(Hey moderator folks, is there any chance of a like post button?)
Not sure where to ask such things..........not sure who is top dog?

At least we are confirmed on the pic links!

Back
Top Bottom