Is this a disease?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amydaveg

Aquarium Advice Activist
I noticed that one of my parrots have an eye that is popping out. The fish doesn't seem sick. Do I need to treat?

dc31765a914673e3f46c44db90d6792a.jpg
ce12d21b2cc73693df2006a3050273e9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other eye is normal
1cc63b52ab43587c76b0cdfc3e5ab6ee.jpg

This is what I got from Google "Popeye, or exophthalmia, is swelling of one or both eyes of the aquarium fish. It is difficult to treat but easy to prevent. One or both eyes of the aquarium fish bulge outwards, hence the “popeye” name. The outer surface of the fish's eye may be white or cloudy."

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

yes looks like popeye you should qt him , turn heat up to 80*
Treat with tetracyline 1 packet every other day per 20g along with a small water change for about a week , each fish is different and may take a little longer for the eye to re-seat , some say stick a pin in bubble behind eye and pop it but in my mind that's gross and mean.
I've had great luck qt-ing and medicating with popeye let nature do the rest

after treating detox about a week 5g water change daily

Last edited:
yes looks like popeye you should qt him , turn heat up to 80*
Treat with tetracyline 1 packet every other day per 20g along with a small water change for about a week , each fish is different and may take a little longer for the eye to re-seat , some say stick a pin in bubble behind eye and pop it but in my mind that's gross and mean.
I've had great luck qt-ing and medicating with popeye let nature do the rest

after treating detox about a week 5g water change daily

Wouldnt nitrofurazone be a better choice since Tetracycline kills BB?

nitrofurazone would work also just be sure you treat in a separate tank , depending how long his eye has been out of it's socket , it could take 7 to 14 days to return to normal , I have been using tetracycline for many years with great results , so it's always my first choice , nitrofurazone works a little slower but will give the same results ,
be sure at the end of treatment you detox doing 5 g water changes daily so the fish don't have withdrawals from the medication , I know fish having withdrawals sounds funny but they can go into seizure and die from shock , that is why a detox period is recommended .

keep us updated .

seaweed

Last edited:
I happen to have Melafix so I'm going to dose for 7 days , everyday and see if that works. I seem some good reviews on it online.
If not I will have to get another small tank for treatment

Does ttx kill the bb? Going through another cycle seems daunting.

that is why it is recommended to use a qt hospital tank , you never want to treat in the main tank

Nitrofurazone is only 4 dollars at walmart. For a new person on a budget and without a hospital tank i would try that.
And it wont kill your BB in the main tank.
Im not trying to give you a hard time seaweed as OXYtetracycline is my favorite drug, just throwing out there for new people, that reg gram + tetracycline, will turn the water frothy brown, and it will kill all BB.

Back
Top Bottom