Is this a dottyback?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beengirl

Aquarium Advice Addict
Bought a condy anemone today that was attached to a rock. After got home, a small
purple-ish fish came out of the rock. Looks like it might be an orchid dottyback, but wanna make sure before I put it in the tank. This is the best pics I could get.

image-1956915828.jpg

image-985681962.jpg

Any opinions? Is this an orchid dottyback?

BTW, by the time I got home, the Condy had let go of the rock (of course), and the fish was in the bag. That's why the nem isn't on a rock in the pic. I did turn it upright, tho. :)

There are orchid and purple dottybacks. Could be either. Check out LA to compare.

Cool. Thanks. Didn't know about the purple ones. :) It's definitely an orchid, though. It has a black stripe by the eye, looks like the purple ones don't have that. Thanks for your help. I'm happy I got a hitchhiker fish!! :) Yea!!!!

Yes, an orchid dottyback (Pseudochromis fridmani). You can easily tell this species from a purple dottyback (Pictichromis porphyrea) by coloration (P. fridmani has a dark stripe on the snout, and each body scale has a vertical dark blue marking), and caudal fin shape (rounded, usually with lower part and sometimes upper part broadly extended in P. fridmani, versus truncate (squared off) or weakly emarginate (with narrow extensions on the upper lower part of the tail) in P. porphyrea). Very nice little fish.

Tony

Yes, an orchid dottyback (Pseudochromis fridmani). You can easily tell this species from a purple dottyback (Pictichromis porphyrea) by coloration (P. fridmani has a dark stripe on the snout, and each body scale has a vertical dark blue marking), and caudal fin shape (rounded, usually with lower part and sometimes upper part broadly extended in P. fridmani, versus truncate (squared off) or weakly emarginate (with narrow extensions on the upper lower part of the tail) in P. porphyrea). Very nice little fish.

Tony

Thanks Tony!! You're always so helpful in identifying things!! He's a great fish so far! He's been getting on great with all the other fish and he is out and about quite a bit already. :) And he's eating great!! Seems like I got a great deal (free!) cuz I saw them listed online at $50 or more. :D

Only too happy to help Beengirl ... particulary on dottyback identifications, as that's the group I know most about! And yes, that is a really good score ... I'm jealous. I have dived with this species in the Red Sea, and it's one of my favourites.

Tony

Only too happy to help Beengirl ... particulary on dottyback identifications, as that's the group I know most about! And yes, that is a really good score ... I'm jealous. I have dived with this species in the Red Sea, and it's one of my favourites.

Tony

You have a very cool job!!!!

Haha! Congrats! I've never heard of anyone getting a fish as a hitchhiker. So cool. Sure beats aiptasia ;)

Haha!! Definitely beats Aptasia!!! So far the only hitchhikers Ive gotten have been a few mini brittles-and a few Aptasia!! So I'm pretty happy about this little guy!! :D

Strawberry Basslet
It's an orchid dottyback, not a strawberry. Strawberry don't have the black line at the eyes, and mine does. And our resident fish taxonomist (Tony Gill) has already confirmed this suspicion. :) Thanks for the help everyone!

Back
Top Bottom