Is this a good deal - should I buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noviceafter2yea

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi All.

I found a 14 gallon brand new Aqueon tank for sale - never been used brand new in box. Wondering if you think it is worth buying? It is 30$'for,everything including filter and heater

I currently have a 20 gallon
3 bleeding heart tetras
3 platy
2 Cory catfish
1 dalmation Molly
1'guppy
1'snail

I've been told I need to add more cories and bleeding hearts. My concern was this would be too much for my 20 gallon. I considered upgrading to a 40 gallon, but it is too expensive right now.

If I add the 14 gallon, perhaps I could move the Molly and the 3 platys to make room for the additional 5 fish in the 20 gallon tank.

If I were to buy the 14 gallon and moved the 4'fish, how many other fish could I add? I really light the fish that glow - the low maintenance ones. I know they are schooling so how many should I get if I can have that many fish?

I know I have to cycle the new aquarium. Currently, in my main tank I have a filter with activated carbon in one bag and a plain old nothing in it filter bag behind it. Could I use that?

I also have a 5'gallon QT tank.

My readings in the main tank are am 0, N2'about .20, N3 30, and PH 8 (usually 7.4).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I need to decide by tomorrow.

Thanks!

Or, I could buy it and try to convince my sister to put my nieces' 2 year old goldfish initmwhich sits in a small bowl and breaks my heart to see - every time I mention it, my sister,refused it saying it would stress the guy and kill him. I try to tell her he is suffering where he is, but it hasn't convinced her.

Is this off of a site like craigslist? You might be able to find an even better deal. I bought my 55g including everything for $50. Bought my 30g long everything included for $40. I got my ten gallon for free.... Etc I got a lot of my stuff of Craigslist. If you check often enough and have patience you can find amazing deals.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Is this off of a site like craigslist? You might be able to find an even better deal. I bought my 55g including everything for $50. Bought my 30g long everything included for $40. I got my ten gallon for free.... Etc I got a lot of my stuff of Craigslist. If you check often enough and have patience you can find amazing deals.

It is off of CL. I've been perusing it for several weeks now, and have come up with nothing. It is especially important to me to get one with a hood because that is the most expensive part. I have an empty 20 gallon glass, but the hoods aren't cheap so I figured a whole new kit might be my best bet.

Could be wrong, so I figured I'd ask all you guys here!

Yeah hoods are expensive unless you make a DIY. I'm no good at that. Your craigslist must be a dead area because In mine there is deals all over. 14g is not all that big. IMO I would look for a better deal (bigger tank) if you can't wait any longer and are in a desperate race to buy a tank go for it.

Sounds like a fine deal to me. I know you can do better... But some area's (like mine) are just lacking in good deals in the fish section!

Definitely depends on location. In the Chicago location I see tanks listed for more than new sometimes.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom