Is this a good reading??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ram6519

Aquarium Advice Regular
I used a Salifert test kit for KH / Alkalinity and the reading came out KH 15.4 and Alkalinity 5.49. Is this low, high or Ok for a reef tank with just a few corals?
ph - 8.4
Amm. - 0
Salinity - .023

Thanks

15.4 DKH is actually on the high side. Unless you have problems maintaining a proper pH level there's no reason to keep the alk levels outside NSW (1.5-3 mEq/l). To actually guage the chemstry properly, the Ca level must also be known. If you don't have a Ca test kit see if your LFS will test it for you.

If you have been dosing kalk or a buffer of any kind I would suggest you stop. A few water changes with well aged aerated SW wouldn't hurt either. Do you know the alk of the newly mixed SW?

Cheers
Steve

My LFS has told me to use Kents Coral Builder once a week. Is that why my reading is so high? If so I will quite using it.

ram6519 said:
My LFS has told me to use Kents Coral Builder once a week. Is that why my reading is so high?
Yes, unless you have something within the tank using it, then all you will end up doing is increasing the alkalinity rather than mainatining it. It really depends on what types of corals you have. If no scleractinians, you won't really need a buffer like Coral builder. Small needs are best met with water changes.

Once/if CaCO3 demand increases, you may need suppliments but both Ca and alkalinity must be monitored as a balanced equation. If one is affected both will be and should be maintained in unison.

What corals do you have?

Cheers
Steve

Then you really have no need for additives like that. Might be in your future but for now I would simpley rely on your water changes for minor/major trace element maintenance.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom