Is this aquarium safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFanaticSyd

Aquarium Advice Activist
I found this at Holden Beach, North Carolina. I think it is a coral but am not sure. If it is, I can clean it. Done all sorts of online searches for it and only found one pic that vaguely resembles it. Is this a coral? The only way I can figure out how to post this is using my albums in user profile. It is in 'random coral?'

How do you load them onto posts? All I could figure out how to do was make an album on my user profile for it. There are pics there. It's ironic. I am learning computer programming in school and I can't figure out how to upload a picture. lol.

Well here is your pict of your coral ,

103625-albums14514-picture69922.jpg

It looks like a dead barnacle cluster , the only thing about putting things in your tank you find would be the risk of bringing in parasites and even hitchhikers inside the cluster , you just don't know is it worth the risk ,

Well here is your pict of your coral ,

103625-albums14514-picture69922.jpg

It looks like a dead barnacle cluster , the only thing about putting things in your tank you find would be the risk of bringing in parasites and even hitchhikers inside the cluster , you just don't know is it worth the risk ,

Agree and I hate to have to say this,but anything picked up on the beach or within the water close in to land could possibly contain pollutants you wouldn't want in your tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I boil things I put in my tank for at least 30 minutes. Is this amount of time boiling long enough?

I found it last September. Anything on there once should be dead and easily removed by boiling, right?

I still wouldn't chance it,unless it was collected at least three miles offshore.The crap that gets in our coastal waters is scary.I say this after spending terrific Summer's years ago very close to Holden's beach at what was then called Howell's Point on the inter-coastal waterway.

I'm probably overly cautious ,but in a reef aquarium the ecosystem is fragile enough with the stuff we get from suppliers.
Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I wouldn't suggest boiling anything salt related it can omit toxic gases , and safety is key

Back
Top Bottom