Is this Cyanobacteria?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AtHomeWithTwins

Aquarium Advice Activist
Greenish blue algae that looks like a web on my water sprite and covers java fernleaves. What do you all think and what should i do?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394814927.973506.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394814961.965588.jpg

No, not cynobacteria, looks like hair algae. Too much light and nutrients. Do you use CO2? What type of light do you use? What type of fertilizer? You can get rid of it temporarily with hydrogen peroxide like you use to clean cuts. Get a medicine syringe and pull up 3 cc. Turn off your filter and slowly squirt the peroxide over the algae. Wait 15 minutes and then turn the filter back on. The algae will turn white or brown and slowly break up. You can do this once a day until you get it all if there is a lot. You will have to figure out what is out of balance to keep it from coming back.

I hope ur right!! I didnt know hair algae was slimy like this and engulfed whole leaves like this. Sorry for the bad pics by the way. Thanks!

Hair Algae is NOT from an excess of nutrients. Algae is caused by a light/carbon imbalance.

Jkeating... Do you think its hair algae? Can u see the leaf that is wrapped in green slime?

Personally, I think it is cyano. It looks too much like a "sheet" to me to be hair algae.

I think i tend to agree... Would love to hear from some others before i try to treat it... Anybody else care to weigh in? Scores tied 1-1 for now...

I can't really tell from the pic's but look at the cyanobacteria (aka, blue green algae) in this link... James' Planted Tank - Algae Guide. Cyanobacteria can be many colors in a FW tank from blue green, to red, black, and even dark purplish. If it's shiny, growing in a sheet, and just keeps spreading it cyano. Cyano is also slimy although there are some algae's that are also slimy.

Doing a 5 day treatment with Erythromycin is the best way to eradicate it. Just remove as much of it as possible before treating. Erythro won't kill or harm BB but can cause an ammonia spike so monitor your tank.

Be sure to keep nitrate levels at 10ppm as low nitrates often encourage cyano. Most all algae is caused from an imbalance of lighting/CO2/and nutrients.

Rivercats.... I always see u on here giving some good advice... If i give you a quick rundown of my setup could u advise if im doing something or have something that may be causing this issue.

13 gallon (24w x 8d x16h)
Aquaclear 30 and aqueon quietflow 10
Planted w/ wisteria/watersprite/anubias nana/java fern pretty heavily
Root tabs and 1x/week flourish comprehensive
2x 13w cfl lighting on 12-9pm
1 liter diy co2
6 harlequin rasbora/7 green neon tetra/2 panda cory
Temp 78
5 gallon pwc/ week
Amm & nitrite always 0
Nitrate hovers 10-20

What did i forget? Who knows. I give the tank alot of attention, probably more than my wife would like. Im setting up a 55 gallon now to rehome some or maybe all of these fish since i think its overstocked. I appreciate ur input as id like to nip this in the bud b4 it gets out of control.

Oh. I do have minimal amounts of other algae, but not enough that ive really looked into what kind it is really.

That is def Cyanobacteria... Good luck with getting rid of it... Reduce dissolved nutrients and you'll likely need to dose with erythromycin at 200mg/10gallons for a while to get rid of it

Back
Top Bottom