Is this even possible??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Super_Blueberry

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So my co2 was running empty last weekend, so I got a new tank on Tuesday. I upped the co2 a little since I was still tweaking it from the old 55g to my new 100g and had the headroom. Now I had been monitoring the parameters since setting up the new 100g a month ago or so, just to make sure a mini cycle didn't crop up, and my nitrates, after the first week, never got above 10ppm before my weekly water change. I hadn't tested since last weekend, but this morning when I tested before my pwc, it was yellow..0 ppm. Now I'm thinking my cycle stalled, so I checked ammo and ites as well , both were also 0ppm.

So is it possible with the extra co2, in a heavily planted tank, that all produced nitrates are being utilized by the plants??

(Obviously I realize that I still have to do PWC's for other reasons, so I'm not trying to get out of them, just thinking maybe not as often in the ates are not creeping up)

The extra CO2 encouraged the plants to uptake nutrients faster, thus using up the nitrates in the tank. I have to actually add extra nitrate ferts in one of my plant grow out tanks. It will also use the other nutrients you add at a faster rate!!

So with the possibility of a very, very slow build up of nitrates, what should be my next indicator that a pwc is due? Or should I just do my weekly one anyway, but instead of a targeted 40-50%, would just enough to remove waste buildup on the substrate be sufficient?

Personally I would continue with a 50% weekly water change. There are many valuable elements in fresh water that the fish, and plants benefit from. I still do WC's in the tank I add nitrates to every week.

Are you using dry ferts at all? You really don't want to have 0 ppm nitrates in a CO2 injected tank.

As far as your readings go, I wouldn't worry about it too much. As long as you don't have ammonia/nitrite building up, nothing can be too wrong, right? That, and the nitrate tests are horribly imprecise, so you shouldn't put much faith in anything they tell you.

Yea, I've got the kno3 mixed, but rarely use it since I've always had some nitrate levels present. I was just surprised that in the 100g the plants were able use use all that were produced naturally. Guess I have more stuff to add in the mornings now. ;-)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom