is this good or bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What's your light schedule like. I get that a little in my 75 African tank. I just wipe it clean and do a water change. Every now and again I test for phosphates.

Convict2161 said:
What's your light schedule like. I get that a little in my 75 African tank. I just wipe it clean and do a water change. Every now and again I test for phosphates.

On bout 7-730 am off between 8-9pm i plan to get live plants soon will that help keep it away?

Your Algae Question

Hello Vance...

Algae is a good thing. It's means you have a healthy tank. It becomes a problem when we get too enthusiastic with the fish and plant food. A lot of water keepers attack algae by reducing the light in the tank, but that negatively affects your plants.

Attack algae by taking away it's food source. Do large, weekly water changes, say half the tank volume, to keep the water clear of too many dissolved nutrients. Gradually reduce the amount you feed your fish. Fish are lucky to eat once a week in the wild, so you don't need to feed them more than a couple of times a week. Feed just what will be eaten in a minute or two. The rest of time, they'll get their exercise swimming around looking for small pieces that another fish missed.

Reduce the food gradually and do your water changes every week. The algae will shrink to the point you'll have trouble finding it.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello Vance...

Algae is a good thing. It's means you have a healthy tank. It becomes a problem when we get too enthusiastic with the fish and plant food. A lot of water keepers attack algae by reducing the light in the tank, but that negatively affects your plants.

Attack algae by taking away it's food source. Do large, weekly water changes, say half the tank volume, to keep the water clear of too many dissolved nutrients. Gradually reduce the amount you feed your fish. Fish are lucky to eat once a week in the wild, so you don't need to feed them more than a couple of times a week. Feed just what will be eaten in a minute or two. The rest of time, they'll get their exercise swimming around looking for small pieces that another fish missed.

Reduce the food gradually and do your water changes every week. The algae will shrink to the point you'll have trouble finding it.

B

Thank you i had been feeding twice a day now it is once a day since i only have 3 fish and a snail im gonna go down to every other day i do have a water change tonight so ill do 50% then in old tank water ill clean off the algae from the decor and off the glass would that help too to clean it

Algae Problems

Hello again...

The only algae that needs to be removed is any on the front that prevents you from seeing into the tank. If it's anywhere else, then it's not worth the effort to remove it. It will grow back in a matter of days.

The water changes and reducing the food will do the job, but it will take a little time. In the mean time, enjoy the pretty colors of the plant and know that's it's a good supplement your fishes' and snail's diet.

If you want a little more drastic means of getting rid of the algae, then look into getting a few "Ramshorn" snails at the pet store. They'll make short work of any algae. The drawback is, they're fast breeders.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello again...

The only algae that needs to be removed is any on the front that prevents you from seeing into the tank. If it's anywhere else, then it's not worth the effort to remove it. It will grow back in a matter of days.

The water changes and reducing the food will do the job, but it will take a little time. In the mean time, enjoy the pretty colors of the plant and know that's it's a good supplement your fishes' and snail's diet.

If you want a little more drastic means of getting rid of the algae, then look into getting a few "Ramshorn" snails at the pet store. They'll make short work of any algae. The drawback is, they're fast breeders.

B

Thank you again ill look into the the ramshorns and follow the other bits of advice i was wondering since i wouldnt mind stocking the tank a little more would a cae eat that

Personally I like having a little bit of algae in my tank. I think it makes it look more realistic, but if you don't I would say reduce the amount of time your light is on to no more then 12 hrs. even with plants. I don't know a lot about caes but they can get fairly large and probably require at least a 30g tank. From what I have heard they aren't the greatest algae eaters and can get a little aggressive as well. I think that maybe a few otocinclus or snails as mentioned would be a better choice. Ramshorn breed like rabbits in my experience just an fyi there. Hope Some of that helps. Good luck.

smallfry53 said:
Personally I like having a little bit of algae in my tank. I think it makes it look more realistic, but if you don't I would say reduce the amount of time your light is on to no more then 12 hrs. even with plants. I don't know a lot about caes but they can get fairly large and probably require at least a 30g tank. From what I have heard they aren't the greatest algae eaters and can get a little aggressive as well. I think that maybe a few otocinclus or snails as mentioned would be a better choice. Ramshorn breed like rabbits in my experience just an fyi there. Hope Some of that helps. Good luck.
Thank you i didnt know that a bout caes ill keep researching i wouldnt mind it once i get some live plants

Convict2161 said:
Light schedule looks fine. You're getting great advice btw...

Thank you convict i know i am it is very helpful reason why i love this community/ family

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom