Is this green slime?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fugarwi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, I just started a tank, and I am cycling the tank right now. I have added some live rock with some nice pink and purple algae, however, there was this really dark green algae that looked a lot like the rest of the algae...so I didnt worry about it. Just that after a week, it seems to be doing better than the rest and growing fast. (well cycling the tank doesnt provide a lot to look at...so I am stuck looking at the live rock!)

Attachments

• algae_142.jpg
    algae_142.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 52
I am using RO/DI water, but I have to admit, my water flow probably is not up to it... I hate to admit, I am not running any powerheads, just the flow from my external filter and protein skimmer... I am gonna buy a couple of powerheads when the roads are passable and it would be reasonable to think someone got to work (we got snowed in this week)

THanks for the advise

Saw all that snow, be careful. :)

Add in some powerheads and reduce your feeding and lighting schedule for a few weeks and it should go away. I would also try to manually remove as much as you can.

HTH

Ok, sounds good, how do I manually remove it? I read somewhere that if you brushed the LR all you did was plow new soil for more algae? grab it with tweezers and pull off as much as possible?

Thanks,
Jeff.

Oh, and I have a lifted truck with big tires, so it hasnt been too bad for me, but nothing is really open because they cant get to work...so my ability to get around hasnt helped! : )

Try using a piece of airline tubing to work as a syphon to clean it off. Good luck.

Try taking a toothbrush and rubberband it the the siphon hose and gently scrub rock and draw the algea out the siphon hose. Do this when you do PWC`s. After a couple weeks it should look better. We still need to find the cause. Read that link I gave you.

Just a quick note, the majority of the algae is gone, just a few more spots left on the rock. I added a powerhead, and sucked off what I could, but it is really looking good now.

Back
Top Bottom