Is this ich? (betta)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mimi9000

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I think my betta might have ich but am not sure, as I'm new to fishkeeping. We've had him for about 6 weeks now. If anyone knows what this could be, please let me know.

Photos here

1~What type of fish is afflicted? Betta. 3 days ago, I noticed raised white spots on body and tail. On Day 2 the spots on his body were gone, but 3-4 more white spots had appeared on his tail. Today (day 3) looks to be the same.
2~Ammonia 0 to .25. Nitrites 0. Nitrates: 10. PH 7.6
3~ 5.5 gallon tank, cycled for about 2 months now.
4~Top Fin power filter that came with the starter tank.
5~Only the betta in the tank + 1 moss ball, 1 plant, gravel and 2 ornaments.
6~Changed out 2 gallons last night + vacuumed gravel. I usually do this 3x/week, changing 1-2 gallons each time.
7~Got the fish 6 weeks ago. Not sure his age.
8~Five days ago I put in a new carbon filter*. Did not have room to add the old filter in with the new, so I did not seed the new filter. I rinsed it in old tank water, though. Yesterday, I switched from Top fin betta water conditioner to Seachem Prime.

* Just remembered the new filter had a brown spot on it. Not sure what that is.

9~Betta eats 2 pellets, 2x a day. No change in diet.

Aside from the spots, he seems normal. Maybe some fin clamping but it isn't consistent.

Could these be scabs maybe? Last night I noticed he likes to sleep in the tangle of roots from the plant in his tank. Maybe the roots are tearing his fin?

Any advice is appreciated - thank you so much!

It's not ich but not sure what it is, ich is white and looks like salt

Thanks for the reply, Cardex!

I was thinking about treating this by turning up the heat to 85-86 and adding salt to the water, but should I hold off since I'm not sure what this is?

Not sure what to do, but it also doesn't seem right to do nothing, hm....

Hold off - it didn't look like ich to me. Keep up with the water changes every week to ensure that the ammonia is 0.

Back
Top Bottom