Is this Ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FemaleBettaLove

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a tank with a bunch of baby/juvenile guppies and I noticed one struggling to swim because it looks like its tail is gone (could be from fin nippers or disease). Also, there is a white spot below its dorsal fin. Can this single spot be ich?

I have a small quarentine tank with a heater and a filter that I can put him in and treat if need be. However, this tank also has a bunch of pest snails I am allowing to breed to feed my pea puffers. If i treat this fish for ich, will the filter (good bacteria) and/or snails be harmed? I attached the best pic of the fish I could get.

Attachments

• IMG_20210424_233413265.jpg
    IMG_20210424_233413265.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 17
It’s hard to tell. Not saying it’s always the case but when mine had ick it was like sprinkled on the fins and then slowly getting on their bodies. I used ick x and the snails were just fine. It also didn’t affect my cycle. Especially if you’re not sure it’s ich, which I’m not sure it is by the photo, try increasing temp and adding salt before doing meds. Then you can watch without risking harsh meds if they’re unnecessary.

Not ick - someone took a bite and he escaped but alas his tail did not. It will grow back. Also don't treat with meds. To prevent infection just make sure the water stays clean. One could add a touch of salt (non-iodized as iodine is deadly to fishes) but some plants react badly to salt and probably not necessary.
-
A little fungus might form on the wound - that is normal and no reason for alarm or treatment.

Thanks for the advice. I have put him in my quarantine tank which is slightly warmer so that he can heal, rest, and grow his fins back.

Back
Top Bottom