Is this overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueAura

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I have a standard 29 gallon tank, planted with about 10 live plants, plus two mystery snails, 1 nerite snail, and 1 ghost shrimp.

Here is my fish list:
Name # Length Total
glass cats 5, 1.5, 7.5
Platies 4, 1.5, 6
hatchets 3, 1, 3
guppies 2, 1, 2
Rams 2, 1, 2
Cories 2, 1, 2

Total inches of fish = 22.5

With the six live breeders I believe I need more cleanup help but also I don't want to go overboard. The platies are 3 females 1 male, and the guppies are both females.

Any advice appreciated. :)

honestly i don't think that's too much at all. that seems like a good amount. especially with those plants in there, sucking up all the nitrates. try to keep an eye on making sure the tank doesn't look crowded though, because if the plants are big they'll be taking up space that the fish need. i never really count the snails or shrimp when looking at how many fish i have because they hardly take up any space and are typically just friendly bottom feeders. my mystery and nerite snails are the best clean up i've ever put in my tanks. i have them in every tank i have other than with the turtle.

if you find that your tank is overly dirty, definitely invest in a gravel vac. they're cheap at pet stores and you can directly pull the dirt right off the gravel with them. which definitely saves the money on needing tons of bottom feeders!

You should count snails, especially mystery snails as they deficate a lot. Rams are also a lot bigger than 1", more like 2.5". Actually all of your sizes are a little on the small size. That tank is maxed out, so I would do 40-50% water changes every week. You are also running the risk of your platties breeding and possibly your guppies, putting your tank over the max.

Plants sucking up nitrates does not really affect much, it is the overall bioload you worry about. Just keep up with the water changes and if your fish start breeding be careful.

My rams are about this long

|----------------|

Seriously, the platies are bigger than they are. My guess is the rams are pretty young. Do they start out really light colored and get a deeper gold as they age? My female ram is very very light and she really washes out when something freaks her out. Thank you -- this is exactly why I was asking if the tank was overstocked.

I was trying to get a picture to show up, but can't... maybe this will work:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BR_Uqg4AUaw/?taken-by=catsnredsox&hl=en

The angle is odd because I was trying to get a picture of the canister filter's position, not necessarily the tank. You can actually see one of the rams to the far right side of the tank.

So far I think when I get home I should remove all the plastic plants so the fish have more room. I have a hospital tank below because I've been dealing with ich and also for fry if/when my fish breed. Hopefully that won't be anytime soon! :)

How old is the tank? Rams, particularly German Blue Rams are the one area I know extremely well.

When they are young, it takes a few weeks to color up, and when they are stressed you will see "black bars," or their scales turn black around their head and body. If you have ich, they will be stressed, and with that many fish that is asking for an outbreak.

Your rams will definitely get bigger, and when you stock fish, you need to stock according to the size they are supposed to get, not what they are now. Rams require a fully cycled tank that has been running for months with pristine water. I would also suggest nothing but real plants for Rams.

If the tank is under 80f the rams are not happy IMO.
The lower temps for them will cause shortened life span and reduced immune system.
I can't make sense of your numbers but inch per gallon is older then me !
You could try AQadvisor for a safe call on it all.
The livebearers will live so crank up the heat..
You never said what kind of cories ? they should be in school of 5+ , with Sterbai being said to 'do best ' in high heat. Many discus and ram keepers use them.

The tank is above 80F, since I've been treating for ich. I'm slowly bringing it down from 86. The ich came with the guppies.

I've never been good at equations because inches are always bigger than I think. My brain wants to tell me a centimeter is an inch, and there's​ about 2.5 centimeters in each inch. :/

The cories are Sterbas. The fish seems​ Ok, no panting or trembling. One of my glass cats was missing his tail, and I was sure he would die from it. But the wound is healing well and he is fiesty!

Even so, I am waiting for a part for my new canister filter to help with the bio load. It can't come fast enough!!

The tank has been up since early January, and it cycled in a month. Please don't kill me. ;)

So for future knowledge, never put rams in a tank that hasn't fully cycled or been cycled for at least 4 months. That is why they are stressed right there. And for fish length, just type in the fish name on Google and plenty of sites will tell you their full length.

If the tank is under 80f the rams are not happy IMO.
The lower temps for them will cause shortened life span and reduced immune system.
I can't make sense of your numbers but inch per gallon is older then me !
You could try AQadvisor for a safe call on it all.
The livebearers will live so crank up the heat..
You never said what kind of cories ? they should be in school of 5+ , with Sterbai being said to 'do best ' in high heat. Many discus and ram keepers use them.
Bravo good man!

Back
Top Bottom