Is this too much iron?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lectraplayer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Looking at my swords (and scarlet temple in the background), do these dark leaves look like an excess of iron? If not, what else would I check? Substrate is gravel with composted soil under, and fish population as follows:

5 neons
3 bleeding hearts
2 ottocinclous cats.

Just added:
4 neons
4 rasboras

Was adding some API Leaf Zone (1 "threaded side" capful at each 50% water change. Now I'm going to try to not add anything for awhile.

Tank: 10g ran since early March. Broke many swords into individual leaf-and-root plants from another tank. I'm pleased with growth pattern but color is dark. Scarlet Temple has only been there for two weeks, cut from stems at a pet store. Water PH was 7. Now adjusting to 6.5 to 6.7 with acetic acid (vinegar) and sodium bicarbonate as needed. Illuminated with a pair of Ott Lite 15 watt CFLs. They appear to be around 5000K, and I've seen brighter per watt seems like.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1399308662449.jpg
    1399308662449.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 201
No root tabs, but rich soil under.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

Looks like diatoms. How long are the lights on? Are you dosing macs and mics? Are you pressurized? Do you have ample flow? How often are you feeding the fish?

I do have diatoms which are settling down. However, I have rubbed a few leaves and knocked few, if any off. I remove many diatoms when I vacuum, "plowing" an inch of gravel as I go. Feedings are once daily. No CO2 and big flow, bordering on blowing my fish around. Just cut off a bubble wall.

Well, I doubt it's too much iron. I've been doing a lot of research at UKaps. No disrespect to AA but I have been reading up on this brother named Clive. He's pretty blunt thus entertaining to read but a genius and expert in the planted tank. I agree with his theories which most of them seem to be more
so fact than here-say. His mantra - Most problems derive from the lack of co2, too much lighting, and not enough distribution/flow.

Cheers,

Btw, Why would you think it's too
much iron?

My guess would be the following:
Too much photo period not enough ferts and the lack of carbon dosing. Thus, your plant is melting.

I'm honestly not even sure what plants I'm looking at.

That being said, if you have a compost underneath the gravel then you are practically running a walstad tank. The difference in color is likely just from the combinations of factors being different in the 10g compared to where they came from. Each planted tank is going to be different and the plants will show that difference.

What reflectors are on your lights? That's going to be a big determining factor in the needs of your aquarium.

Why are you adjusting the ph?

The swords are not melting, but appear to be growing fine. They're just dark. When I put them in, they had a single knuckle sized leaf. Now they have several the size of a finger.

I was trying to adjust the water to my bleeding hearts. I see they like water up to around 6.8 PH and the 7 I had was outside this range. Just trying to help them out a bit. My neons and rasboras like it "slightly tart" as well.

The reflectors are metal strips above the bulb. They don't look all that shiny to me so I may put some silver tape in the next few days.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Even with dirted tanks which I've been doing for many years Swords still need root tabs. I not only used root tabs but also gave them phosphate and iron root tabs as well since they like high levels of both.

Looks like diatoms. How long are the lights on? Are you dosing macs and mics? Are you pressurized? Do you have ample flow? How often are you feeding the fish?

I agree!! I think it looks like diatoms/algae from the pictures.

From what the OP has said about light, ferts and no co2 dosing, i think this tank will become unbalanced (if not already). Algae can then take control.

Also sounds very overstocked for a 10g. It might not be, but it sounds a lot of fish for that size tank

Now that I have expanded the schools, the neons and rasboras have gotten a lot more active. Bleeding hearts still hide in the swords despite being the big fish of the tank. Will probably move them to my 29g when it turns ready.

Back
Top Bottom