Isolated a struggling rasbora - good or bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

threnjen

Aquarium Advice Addict
We recently introduced fish to our 90g and one of the fish was a school of 11 black harlequin rasboras.

All of the rasboras were together in the tank at the LFS (in fact we took them all) so they all "knew" each other and were used to being together.

For some reason after introduction, one of the rasboras was singled out as the odd man out. The other rasboras took to harassing him. He started hiding out behind the overflow box all day long and would not come out to eat or interact, nor would he swim. After 2 days husband forced him out and he was immediately accosted by 2 other rasboras, and went back and hid.

We have a HOB isolation box so we hooked that up and transferred him in there in hopes of helping him eat and recover from stress. After 48 hours he is doing much better and has eaten and is now swimming around the isolation box (instead of just hanging in place)

Was this a good idea?
When do we put him back in the tank?
If he is still picked on, should I take him back to the store in hopes he can be accepted with a different group?
We really want what is best for him.

No one? Was my novel too long?

Well, anyway. In an unrelated incident, one of the rasboras in the tank bit the dust (jumped out, through the literally 1" strip of uncovered water). The isolated rasbora seemed better so we put him in the tank with the others hoping they would mistake him for their lost 10th member.

Now he is fine and schooling with the rest of the team and they don't seem to be picking on him.

Sounds like you did the correct thing. That's good that the fish are getting along now, sometimes it just takes some time for the fish to get accustomed to the tank. Or maybe the fish that went for the walk was the one instigating it.

No one? Was my novel too long?

Well, anyway. In an unrelated incident, one of the rasboras in the tank bit the dust (jumped out, through the literally 1" strip of uncovered water). The isolated rasbora seemed better so we put him in the tank with the others hoping they would mistake him for their lost 10th member.

Now he is fine and schooling with the rest of the team and they don't seem to be picking on him.

That's just amazing to get through a one inch gap. I've also had one suicide through the same gap and another somehow clear the tank to find the floor (that one survived). Is there any reason they jump? I assumed it was just a fight or flight thing, never thought about any schooling problems?

I have absolutely no idea. For instance there is nothing off with my water params (even my nitrates are only at 5-10 the last few days) and they school happily. The one that jumped wasn't even the stressed out one.
These rasboras are little houdinis somehow - yesterday morning when I got up, I noticed I was down 2 in the tank. Checked the floor, the back, the top, nothing.

Found them in the overflow box. Might not sound that crazy except LAST week after 4 got stuck in the overflow box, we wove a very fine mesh between the overflow box slots (that time they just swam in), so that they couldn't get in again. So this time they what - jumped out of the water and over the mesh to get in??? I am seriously baffled. The top of the overflow box is above the water line!! How on earth did they get in there?

LOL seriously these rasboras are turning out to be quite irritating.

Wow! Lol - maybe that explains the escape plans i find drawn on the tank glass...

I've ended up cutting sheets of Perspex to sit on the tank. It cuts down water misting on the hood anyway so was good to do but was a lot of work to cut for 9 trouble-makers. I like the tail action though and they school pretty well.

Holy crap. Hooooolllly craaaaap.

Today there was a rasbora in the overflow AGAIN
Hubby and I are baffled. Absolutely baffled. At this point all of the openings and even over the top of the overflow box are covered with fine mesh. I don't see ANY WAY for a rasbora to have gotten in there!!! EVERYTHING is covered

I hate these rasboras. Totally serious.
I wonder if I can rehome them, they largely just piss me off.

Holy crap. Hooooolllly craaaaap.

Today there was a rasbora in the overflow AGAIN
Hubby and I are baffled. Absolutely baffled. At this point all of the openings and even over the top of the overflow box are covered with fine mesh. I don't see ANY WAY for a rasbora to have gotten in there!!! EVERYTHING is covered

I hate these rasboras. Totally serious.
I wonder if I can rehome them, they largely just piss me off.

No wonder they are stressed - they spend all night taking the mesh apart...

Do you think they are jumping or swimming in somehow (as unlikely as it is)? Very curious. Not the angel chasing them or any loud bangs in the night? (apart from them using wielding gear on your mesh). Really just guessing here now.

The angel is incredibly docile. It doesn't chase anyone that I have ever seen. I'm a major night owl too... up til 2AM most nights same room as tank, and I have never seen any aggression whatsoever from the angel. The angel is a juvie just like the rasboras so it's tiny.

The most "annoying" tankmates are boesemani rainbows but they seem to harass the white fin tetras more than the rasboras. They don't really chase anyone but each other though, the cardinals never seem annoyed by them.

When I'm not sitting on my bum I'll take a picture to show you. We are seriously baffled. Maybe if I can get my phone in there for a pic I can see a different angle somehow?? But we can see the entire area when we have the hood off (which we have to remove every time the rasbora(s) are in the overflow).

Gaaaaaaahhhh

The angel is incredibly docile. It doesn't chase anyone that I have ever seen. I'm a major night owl too... up til 2AM most nights same room as tank, and I have never seen any aggression whatsoever from the angel. The angel is a juvie just like the rasboras so it's tiny.

The most "annoying" tankmates are boesemani rainbows but they seem to harass the white fin tetras more than the rasboras. They don't really chase anyone but each other though, the cardinals never seem annoyed by them.

When I'm not sitting on my bum I'll take a picture to show you. We are seriously baffled. Maybe if I can get my phone in there for a pic I can see a different angle somehow?? But we can see the entire area when we have the hood off (which we have to remove every time the rasbora(s) are in the overflow).

Gaaaaaaahhhh

Yes please :) Would be keen to see pics if you get a chance.

oRGibjj.jpg

R6vwyst.jpg

Husband says he "fixed" the overflow cover a SMIDGE. He said there was MAYBE 1/4" open at the back so he cut the notch in just a tad. He said it didn't even look big enough for a fish to get through.

On the pic through the water you see it is trapping all the plant detritus and such, nothing gets through it. It's woven tightly enough that there shouldn't be any room to slip up under it either. The mesh goes up above the water line at least 1/2"

Looks secure!

Maybe they are part octopus. One I had must of cleared an inch and bit high as well as wide. The other must of gone almost straight up 2 inches into an inch or so gap.

Hope that stops them.

Back
Top Bottom