Itsy-bitsy black spined thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

capj64

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Rearranged my rocks today so I had my red flashlight and magnifying glass looking around to see if I saw anything new tonight.

I saw one of my hermit crabs releasing her babies into the water. That was way cool.

Then I saw something that I even sure I was seeing :) So I took the red lens off the light and looked again with white light. To me, it looks like a baby short spiked black urchin. But really I don't have a clue. I tried googling it and looked on all of the hitchiker list I could find and I don't see anything like it. BTW, I hate googling urchins. Picture of them being eaten pop up and it's gross.

It looks like a hostess snowball (you know, the pink ones), but black with spikes all over it. Oh, and it even have a piece of crushed coral on it's back! It's not even a 1/4" in size...

sorry the photo sucks but I don't have a macro lens (yet) :)

Twitpic - Share photos on Twitter

Here is a picture of my black urchin. It's the size of a quarter right now. It was really small when I first saw it.
img_1123949_0_c0e8c2a54ceec539516e09524c77cc73.jpg

Oh, Mitchell...If you count the spines, It has "7" more then "normal". I think I need to UV protect my animals. Hahaha LOL

oh man if it's an urchin that would be so groovy :) I just didn't know how small it would be so I thought it was too small to be an urchin. Sooo Cool :D

cj, that black urchin was the size of my small finger nail when I first saw it. It's amazing what comes out of our live rock.

The fact that it was carrying a piece of shell makes be believe it is an urchin. Can't wait to see what else I find. I hope my neighbors can't see into my house cause everynight I'm sitting on a stool in front of my tank with a red flashlight and a magnifying glass. :D My kids think I'm crazy but I just tell them that it takes my mind off wanting grandkids. Usually shuts them up, lol.

"red flashlight and a magnifying glass", that is what made me choose my avatar. :):):)

I just got to say, that is sooo cool. I wonder how fast he'll grow.

Finally got a decent picture of my urchin :) I was actually taking a picture of a little piece of pink sponge that's growing just inside one of the small holes on my LR so I was surpriced when I saw I got the urchin with the flash

DSC_0562.jpg

Nice shot. looks like your tank is purpling up nicely too. I was trimming some macroalgae this morning and almost got stuck by a black spiny urghin that was in with the algae..close one. It was the size of a quarter.

Mine is about the size of the tip of a q-tip. Sadly the "purpling" is only on that rock and two of my hermit crab shells. But I'm working on it :)

If you can take one of those rocks out you could scrape the coralline in front of a PH and blow the coralline all over your tank. That will make it spread really fast. I got so much coralline that I am happy that my urchin eats some of it. ;)

Back
Top Bottom