Jack dempsey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sid Fishcious

Aquarium Advice Newbie
What's up everybody I just put together a jack Dempsey fish and cray fish in a 10 gallon (to start) and I've had a snail and rainbow shark both have died in my tank the shark got the ich bad in a matter of weeks, I would like more variety and any tips for keeping it nice and clean I recently purchased a vacuum and have been working on keeping it clean

Thanks

Sid Fishcious said:
What's up everybody I just put together a jack Dempsey fish and cray fish in a 10 gallon (to start) and I've had a snail and rainbow shark both have died in my tank the shark got the ich bad in a matter of weeks, I would like more variety and any tips for keeping it nice and clean I recently purchased a vacuum and have been working on keeping it clean

Thanks

Welcome to AA! Sadly the jack dempsey will need a larger tank 55 for really just him they get pretty big and very mean. It's a matter of time before he tries to eat the crayfish. How long ago did they pass? Did you recycle the tank? My first suggestion is honestly bigger tank size and if the tank isn't cycled take them back and get some starter fish like zebra danios (people get mad If you want this is my method and what I will always do.)

Hey thanks for the reply yea I got the fish and tank as a Xmas gift and the Dempsey has been pretty cool he never messed with the shark that I noticed except sometimes during feeding, him and the kray are actually pretty cool to watch they mess with each other and are the same size. I knew I would need a bigger tank in how long do u think? The shark just passed and I cycled the water for 2 days I figured I'll be vacuuming every two weeks...so I have to keep him all alone?

well if hes small hes not grown into his reputation lol. i would say honestly 4-5 months and i would upgrade. they can reach full size in 1 year. at least mine did before. And i would watch out for the jack getting ick. do you have a water test kit? You could do other cichlids but that would require a larger tank. if you want a mixture of fish i would go african cichlids or tropical fish.

Cool no testers what should I test for? When I treated the shark I treated all the fish just incase thanks for the tips I will start looking for a bigger tank

Sid, do you understand what it means to cycle a tank?? I didn't when I started. How did you cycle it? I don't think a tank can be cycled in 2 days unless you have filter media from an existing tank.

Without the tank being properly cycled, your fish are going to be exposed to toxic levels of ammonia and nitrites. You will have to change the water daily.

I agree if it's not cycled, take them back until it's properly cycled.

Good luck!

Oh wow I totally had no idea and why don't the people at Petco tell u these things if I return the fish I won't get tw same ones back I will test the water and see from there thanks everybody

Hello, I actually have a similar case. I have a Jack Demsey myself.I have him in a 55gal with an Oscar and two silver dollars. The tank has just recently been set up. I did a fishless cycle (about 4 weeks) however my Oscar just developed ich. I was actually wandering how to treat the ich. I bought a treatment called methylene blue. I treated just the Oscar by doing a dip treatment (treating just the one oscar opposed to treating the entire tank) My question is how long will the ich last and is it recommended to repeat the dip treatment or move toward treating the entire tank if the ich persists. I just did the treatment yesterday, so I really have not given it a chance to work. However I appreciate any advice/tips thank you.

Back
Top Bottom