Jack dempseys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karahrs

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have 5 of these guys, 2 electric blue and 3 regular. They all are happy healthy and growing rapidly. The only thing I have a problem with is they don't keep their dark black bars like others i have seen they have the gorgeous red and yellow, and blue spots but the bold black bars are faded . Both of my larger ones are in the picture any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1416191795776.jpg
    1416191795776.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 122
What size tank are these all in? JDs being light tends to mean they are stressed, probably from all those other aggressive african cichlids in there.

I added a 7" JD to a tank with a smaller 5" male. He lightened up after his flaring had no effect on the larger, and after a few days once the 5" realized the larger wasn't a threat to him his darker colors returned.

Yeah, it means they're not settled. Mine is over 5" and in a 55 at the moment and rarely shows the darker colours because he's obviously not in an ideal tank. He'll be moved to a larger one though so should get those colours back.

As pointed out, the presence of all those other cichlids is probably the problem for yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Water looks cloudy, what are your parameters,.poor water quality will certainly stress fish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They are in a 55 gal right now in the process of moving soon so I haven't gotten to put up my 46 gal bow front for all the peacocks and also keeping an eye out for a 75 so I can give them more room when they grow. I want them to be alone in the 55 till I can get a bigger tank. I have two over the back filters in there going for them and I do very weekly 25 percent water changes. This picture was an hour or so after a change.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

May want to up.the wc amount to 50% that's a whole lotta poo in there ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom