Java fern help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FeldmansFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
How do you propagate java ferns and when? Mine have sprouts coming out the top and everything but I'm not sure what to do yet, if anything.

Plantlets will grow on the leaves of the java fern. When you think they are big enough pluck them off and plant them. Also, splitting the rhizome in half is another way to propagate. However, you want to make sure the rhizome is big enough before you do this.

Their slow growers at first but once they get going they just don't stop.

image-2453611907.jpg

This is a pic on my 10 with four larger ferns in the back and some sprouts are hanging off the two biggest ones.
Be sure to have more than one java fern from my experience they don't reproduce solo,no idea why
For best results you want to use slightly higher light than normally recommended about 3 watts per gallon this encourages the plants to take up nutrients. Then you want to add a fertilizer that contains lots of micro nutrients and liquid CO2 flourish is a good choice. If your plants still aren't reproducing you can try a CO2 system.

image-4161154928.jpg

The brown spots are a good sine because the young ferns will only sprout from the dying parts of the fern, thus why they grow on the older leaves but leave the newer growth alone.

I started with one Java fern and had low light and no co2... Now I have a java factory! I never did anything special other than making sure to plant them ON somthing rather than IN the substrate. Just give it time and it will make babies.

From what I can tell drift wood is great for that because the roots sink into the wood instead of around the outside like they would on rocks, it defiantly give you an advantage.

Back
Top Bottom