Java Fern Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Knightfire

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a few java ferns attached to some dragon rock and they are doing fine as far as I can tell. I have had them about 2 months. But on leaves and at the ends of those leaves are some root looking growths, at least I think that is what they are. They are dark brown in color and about 2 inches long. There a many of them on a couple of the leaves. The other java ferns have them too. Are these roots or some sort of fungus or algae? I have no clue what these are. Thanks!:ermm:

Without a picture I would say they are roots . Java ferns propagate by starting new small plantlets at the ends which you can cut off and plant/fasten to a rock or wood or the plantlet will eventually come off the mother by itself . I have some Java fern that is at least 20 years old and does this all the time .

It's the plant propagating itself, eventually those roots will form into tiny plantlets, the mother leave will rot of the main rhizome and the juvenile plantlet will float away.

Back
Top Bottom