Java fern turning brown?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ezzie

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys!
I recently moved my java fern from my shrimp tank into my 5.5 gallon.
The tank has the same lighting (just moved everything over to one less tank) and the only thing different was I tied the fern onto a cut piece of driftwood to let it sink (was previously on a river stone)

The ribosomes are not buried.

My lighting is 2x 11watt fluval mini and I have just stated dosing ADA green brighty (step 3)

It's starting to turn a really ugly brown on some of the leaves & I cannot work out why. Could I have tied the thread too tight?
The tank was recently in black out for 4 days to fight off some blue green algea, which I'm noticing is starting to come back (so I'm gonna get something for it) could this have contributed?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391865809.489357.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391865723.902134.jpg

First off its actually called "rhizomes" :lol:
The section of the tank where the brown leaves are doesn't seem to get a lot of light and also the leaves are pressed against the glass which will make the leaves die. As you can see the leaves that are in the open are doing well but the ones right up against the glass are brown. I believe those leaves are new because they are not as large as the others.

Java ferns actually like higher levels of phosphates and have found I rarely ever have browning on leaves whether they are in dark area's or not. Do you know your phosphate levels? I'm not familiar with the type of fertilizer your using so can't really comment. Something else I have noticed about Java fern Wendilov, which is what you have, is that often when lower leaves get old they can brown up and die off for no apparent reason. Usually when that happens they will grow new plantlets that can be removed and tied off. I personally cut off any dying growth on Java ferns when I see it. Plants tend to waste energy on damaged and dying leaves which is better used towards new and healthy growth.

Thanks for the reply (and spelling correction ;) )

It gets light down there :/ and I was under the impression they were a low light plant anyway!

No idea of phosphorite levels.

Could it just be getting used to the trauma of moving and a new tank (and water conditions) ?

It's not just that spot but many other leaves are out in the open are also browning slightly.. Darn!

The new tank's water chemistry is different from the old tank plus if lighting is different it just may need time to acclimate. All you can do is to watch it and cut off any dead growth.

Back
Top Bottom