Java Fern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Welsh

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have Java moss in a 2.4 gallon tank, it is currently between mesh as I want a carpet effect. The tank has natural sunlight from 6am to around 8pm and the temperature fluctuates from 60-85 depending on the weather. I was thinking about adding some Java fern but I'm not sure whether it will grow in a tank with no stable temp or light. The tank is for shrimp and apple snails. Do you think it will grow?

Java fern is a tough plant. Mine got dried out for about two hours when I moved and most of the leaves dried out and died. It's come back and is growing bigger and faster than before.

I think one has to try to kill Java fern. My otos and shrimp love it! I pulled about a basketball volume out of my thirty long, leaving behind several clusters that cover almost half the lower volume of the tank. There are other clusters in my quarantine tank and my kid's 2 gallon hex that all came from one transplant with about 4 leaves two inches long when I got it. It survived a NO Light transition when we moved between our former and current home. The tank it was in sat with no light in a dark corner for two months while we got our affairs in order. Some of the cuttings I pulled out had leaves 8inches long. . .

When I trimmed my java fern I stuck 2 in my wifes tank. She has a 30 xhigh with a 18w light, no ferts and no co2. It doesnt grow very fast, if at all, but it does live and has been doing so for about 3 weeks.

Wow, think I'll be getting some of that :) No plant has survived my 2.4 yet, so maybe the fern could be the start to something beautiful haha

How often do you fertilize your plants? I use tetra plantamin with every water change but don't really measure the amount I just put a cap in a 10litre bucket before adding it to the tank, is this enough? I really want my java moss to do well in the small tank but I'm doubting its ability lol

Back
Top Bottom