Java fern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikey214

Aquarium Advice Freak
So today I realized one of the leaves on my java fern have disconnected from the whole plant , instead of throwing it out I decided to put it in a separate tank of water to see if it would root itself, the only reason I did this is before my mother with all of her plants grow new plants with having a leaf re-roots itself ( her plants aren't aqaurium plants though ) :thinking: so I come here to ask if this leaf will "reroot" itself? I figured I'd take the chance what do I have to loose ? Any thoughts would be appreciated ! Thanks alot !

Coursair said:
They normally grow baby plants at the end of a leaf. It may work to plant a leaf, but if not I'm sure you'll see baby plants soon.

Agreed, don't throw those leaves out until they are completely dead ;) i have several that broke off, and now I have some nice sized fernlets growing off them. Theyll keep growing until all the nutrients are sucked out of the leaf by the fernlet, which takes quite a bit of time! Have patience with java ferns :)

gabysapha said:
Agreed, don't throw those leaves out until they are completely dead ;) i have several that broke off, and now I have some nice sized fernlets growing off them. Theyll keep growing until all the nutrients are sucked out of the leaf by the fernlet, which takes quite a bit of time! Have patience with java ferns :)

I currently have the leaf that fell off in a cup of tank water sitting in my moms window sill where she has all her other plants , is that enough water for the leaf ? :thinking:

It's a way to encourage baby plants, cut a leaf off and let it float round the aquarium for a while and it will sprout baby plants. As to water in a jar, just replace every day with some fresh water and leave it on the window sill, it will be sprouting babies in days.

Nomadu571 said:
It's a way to encourage baby plants, cut a leaf off and let it float round the aquarium for a while and it will sprout baby plants. As to water in a jar, just replace every day with some fresh water and leave it on the window sill, it will be sprouting babies in days.

Thanks guys , this is awesome can't wait to see new plants growing ! :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom