Java Moss and Plant concept questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheRod

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone,
I currently have a 14 gal aqueon Tank with 2 Cory catfish, 4 ghost tetras, 2 red eye tetras and 1 ghost shrimp (he's my favorite I call him rocko).

I recently went to petco and bought two of those floating moss balls and one of there logs. From what I know, I think those moss balls are considered "java moss" and I plan on tearing it and tieing it to the log. My question is if that is java moss or not. Also, I was wondering what plants my catfish will enjoy and if I can add crystal shrimp to the tank and what plants they should enjoy.
I'd also love your inputs and some pictures of your planted tanks to start brain storming ideas. I've had the tank for months and I like to do alot of research before doing things for my tank or adding fish!

image-1564860182.jpg

image-4233096219.jpg

Thank you!

If those are Marimo Moss Balls, do NOT rip them apart. They are a cool form of algae. Read about them. They float or sink.

I would not risk CRS with those fish. Try RCS first. Then if they are eaten, you won't be out a lot of money. Crystals are much more sensitive than Cherries.

This is how it ended up

What was at the core of the floating moss ball? Was it a ping pong ball or plastic golf ball? The moss might recover...give it some time.

I once bought a half coconut shell with some moss tied to the top from Petco and the moss took off under very low light conditions (single 17w fluorescent on a 20g long). Did not fertilize it; it filled 2/3 of the tank and left a few inches of swimming room at the top for the fish. I took a portion out and put in a jar near a window. Shortly after that the moss in the tank "peaked", turned brown and all of it died within a month. I suspect the water chemistries were out of whack. That was about 2 years ago. Glad I saved a portion of the moss because I took some from the jar and it is in my current tank.

Hey everyone,
I currently have a 14 gal aqueon Tank with 2 Cory catfish, 4 ghost tetras, 2 red eye tetras and 1 ghost shrimp (he's my favorite I call him rocko).

I recently went to petco and bought two of those floating moss balls and one of there logs. From what I know, I think those moss balls are considered "java moss" and I plan on tearing it and tieing it to the log. My question is if that is java moss or not. Also, I was wondering what plants my catfish will enjoy and if I can add crystal shrimp to the tank and what plants they should enjoy.
I'd also love your inputs and some pictures of your planted tanks to start brain storming ideas. I've had the tank for months and I like to do alot of research before doing things for my tank or adding fish!

Thank you!

I would focus on filling your schools. You really need more of your schooling fish. The moss balls are jot java moss but I have heard are cuttable. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom