Java Moss Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dollabill420

Aquarium Advice Freak
Need to know what it would take to get a good carpet going, one tank is 23 inches high has a 24inch 18 watt flourcent daylight bulb by marineland I think, I'll prob be changing bulb if can grow moss with that fixture, other tank is 16 inches tall no hood just built a plexiglass top any recommendations for a hood or some kind of light that doesn't need a hood.

Do mosses need any fertilizer or extra co2, special substrate to grow on I know can go on rocks and decor but I want it to cover my number 2 grade silica sand

Thanks in advance to whom reads
Sry for the bad grammar been up all night lol wanted to get it asked

Edit: the bulb is a t8 I believe, has a reflector, wondering if would need to switch it over to a t5ho if it would be possible with right end caps and ballast or would the moss be alright under the regular fixture that is in it

dollabill420 said:
Need to know what it would take to get a good carpet going, one tank is 23 inches high has a 24inch 18 watt flourcent daylight bulb by marineland I think, I'll prob be changing bulb if can grow moss with that fixture, other tank is 16 inches tall no hood just built a plexiglass top any recommendations for a hood or some kind of light that doesn't need a hood.

Do mosses need any fertilizer or extra co2, special substrate to grow on I know can go on rocks and decor but I want it to cover my number 2 grade silica sand

Thanks in advance to whom reads
Sry for the bad grammar been up all night lol wanted to get it asked

Edit: the bulb is a t8 I believe, has a reflector, wondering if would need to switch it over to a t5ho if it would be possible with right end caps and ballast or would the moss be alright under the regular fixture that is in it

Java moss don't need any fert or co2 supplement! They can literally grow under no lights. Though to get a carpet effect with java moss will be a pain! They are grow and attach real slow!

I'd definitely switch over to t5ho if you expect it to carpet anytime soon. It'll grow under t8, but not very fast. I have some that grows floating under t8's, i've not attempted to keep it down to carpet it.

Sweet, thank you I'll change it over if can find the supplies, you think just one 2 foot bulb would be alright, I don't expect an explosion lol just steady froth over time

Yeah, a single t5ho bulb is good for growth but not so much that you'll end up needing a strict fert routine or co2 supplementation. You can also adjust the light intensity by raising or lowering the fixture to the tank.

jetajockey said:
Yeah, a single t5ho bulb is good for growth but not so much that you'll end up needing a strict fert routine or co2 supplementation. You can also adjust the light intensity by raising or lowering the fixture to the tank.

The fixture I'll be most likely retrofitting is the kind that sits on top of a full hood in a groove with plastic under the light to keep it separated from the water, not very adjustable but neat and clean lol, I been trying to figure out some different hoods and light fixture

Back
Top Bottom