Java Moss?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubbles0oO

Aquarium Advice Addict
i would like to have a nice backdrop to my newly set up 55 tank but only have the wall behind it, would java moss from my LFS be a good one?
if so how long will it take to grow?
it is sold in little balls about the size of a beta fish cylender (the ones you buy them in) how many should i get?
thanks !

You can Youtube "Java Moss Walls" for some interesting ideas on how to do it. It really depends on how much you want the wall to start with. You can easily grow out a full Java Moss wall with just a pinch (EVENTUALLY), but if you want it to start out fairly well you may need at least 2 containers.

Just be prepared to keep it well-groomed, because Java Moss has no issues with spreading beyond the wall and over to everything else in your tank. :D

A nice easy-growing stem plant can be an alternative backdrop that won't be nearly as hard to keep groomed.

I have small fish and they are definetly breeders lol what should I do to keep them from getting stuck back there? What about the fry would they hide on it?

Bubbles0oO said:
I have small fish and they are definetly breeders lol what should I do to keep them from getting stuck back there? What about the fry would they hide on it?

I highly doubt the fish will get stuck. But if you put the wall as close to the back of the tank as possible then you won't have any issue. The fry will hide in it. It'll keep them safe:D

The only thing about Java Moss walls is the care involved once it gets going. Java Moss grabs on to anything and everything floating through the water. Thus you will have to "dust" it off once a week or more to keep it from gathering a load of junk. Other than that it would be an interesting build.

Sowill have to do it trim and " dust " it? Sounds easy seeing I will see it every day ( it in my bedroom and I don't feel like counting the hours I spend working on it and thinking of it) also I have one of the extension clippers so I could get down to the corners , but it has about a seventh of the ends of the tank is overlapping the window, would that affect the growth?

Also would I need to get some system of co2 to Lu I the tank it's a 55 with a few sparodic plants in it alreany would the moss along the back make it not enough co2?

Back
Top Bottom