Java Moss?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guppygourami

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys. I got a nice big clump of java moss from a friend and I'm not sure what to do with it. What requirements does it have? I currently have it in a small plastic bin in water with a lamp on it for 5 hours a day. It is bright and green and seems healthy but I don't want to put it in my main tank. Can I get a gallon jar and put it in with some snails or shrimp? I have a 5G with a betta and I was wondering if I could put the moss in there. How should I put it in? I don't have DW at the moment but do have some ornaments. Quarantine? Helpp! Thanks in advance :) (sorry for the long post)

Here's my experience with Java moss.. it grows like mad under the worst conditions. Decent conditions and it's explosive. I and it on some dw. Re did the tank and threw the dw in a dry bucket and forgot about it. Boiled the dw for 30 min and put it in a new tank. 2 months later the Java Moss has recovered the dw. No exaggeration. Twinkies, cockroaches and Java moss.. only thing left after a nuke.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

hello,

java moss is a very quick growing plant(moss).

it constantly grows even in terrible conditions. the fish will be fine with it, and shrimps love it. i am experienced with shrimp (especially cherry) and it is something of which they will sit on all day.
this is because the moss generates micro-organisms which is a shrimps favourite snack. it also provides a place for baby shrimps and fish to hide in, acting like a net.

i would put the moss in your tank, and if it gets too big, give or sell it to a friend or somebody who wants it.

hope this helped :):scatter::cool:

Thanks, both of you! I'll probably put it in the 5G when I get that all set up or a 10 later on. A bit off topic but what types of shrimp can go with betta fish? It would be one male betta.

Hi!
I keep two male betas in separate containers. I like the ghost shrimp. They help to clean the tank and the beta has a hard time seeing them. I Beta is in my 10g tank and he lives with several other fish. Including a bamboo shrimp which is an expert at hiding and harmless to the boss's fins. Amano shrimp do well also as long as they are smaller than the beta. I love the clean up abilities of shrimp also. And about the moss... just keep it trimmed as needed so that it doesn't take over your tank... Because it will. That's the first live plant I ever had in a tank, and I went on vacation for a few days and came back to a dead beta. He got tangled in the moss and couldn't reach the surface for air. However it was my fault for letting the moss take up most of the swim space in the tank. A hard lesson to learn... But ... smitty da killa won't be forgotten. Best wishes hope I helped.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi!
I keep two male betas in separate containers. I like the ghost shrimp. They help to clean the tank and the beta has a hard time seeing them. I Beta is in my 10g tank and he lives with several other fish. Including a bamboo shrimp which is an expert at hiding and harmless to the boss's fins. Amano shrimp do well also as long as they are smaller than the beta. I love the clean up abilities of shrimp also. And about the moss... just keep it trimmed as needed so that it doesn't take over your tank... Because it will. That's the first live plant I ever had in a tank, and I went on vacation for a few days and came back to a dead beta. He got tangled in the moss and couldn't reach the surface for air. However it was my fault for letting the moss take up most of the swim space in the tank. A hard lesson to learn... But ... smitty da killa won't be forgotten. Best wishes hope I helped.

Thank you for the advice and sorry for your loss. Would you suggest amano or ghost or cherry or...? I have a medium sized betta, the most common kind in stores. I'll be putting him in a 5G with the moss and only natural light and a heater as well.

Amano can get a bit clippy with his fins. So cherry or ghost. At least two or three. One or two always die because the lfs only keeps them as feeders and they are not well cared for.

Amano can get a bit clippy with his fins. So cherry or ghost. At least two or three. One or two always die because the lfs only keeps them as feeders and they are not well cared for.

I really like cherries but will he eat them? BTW moving him to the 5G today here are pics of the old and new tank.
notes: I know the old one was too small but that's why we're moving him :) Also, the new tank is quite bare but I attached the java moss to a gargoyle and put it in.... any suggestions???

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1475878484.744696.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1475878500.034685.jpg

Oh that's cool. But he needs airation and stuff

Oh that's cool. But he needs airation and stuff

Yeah we have a sponge filter and the heater but those still have to be set up. For now we're relying on the heat in the house and water changes. Thank you though!

Whatever you do with the moss, if it goes in a planted tank, don't cut it if it grows too much. Pull it out...

Now I have moss growing everywhere!

You can make Java moss trees with drift wood! You can also make a moss wall and moss carpet using that plastic grid canvas found at the craft store. You can sew pieces of moss to the grid and it will begin to grow along it horizontally instead of all over the place. This is like a herpes plant though, so once you stick it in the tank, it was remain there for a long time!

You can make Java moss trees with drift wood! You can also make a moss wall and moss carpet using that plastic grid canvas found at the craft store. You can sew pieces of moss to the grid and it will begin to grow along it horizontally instead of all over the place. This is like a herpes plant though, so once you stick it in the tank, it was remain there for a long time!

Very cool! I'd love to do the moss carpet with my new 10 gallon. Would you have to have gravel there too?

Back
Top Bottom