JavaMoss Root Down Log (With Pictures!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishCrazyBenBOMB

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well i'm starting to do some different things with my javamoss rooting them to different things so I thought I would share my progression with my fellow AA family members.

Well here are the first pics

17182-albums321-picture2013.jpg

Here is the overlook of the 5 gallon tank with my root down project of my javamoss.

17182-albums321-picture2012.jpg

Here is my first RootDown attempt. I layered javamoss on a rock evenly and thin and then wrapped it in my fishing net. This will make it grow nice and dense and get it rooted nicely.

17182-albums321-picture2015.jpg

A piece of slat that i'm hoping will be rooted and dense/thick by january so it's ready for my breeder tank.

17182-albums321-picture2016.jpg

Just a small piece of driftwood I had laying in a torn down tank that was already water logged so I thought I would get some javamoss on that.

17182-albums321-picture2014.jpg

I had some thicker/softer type of javamoss within my big ball so I thought I would add this to this rock because it looked cool, hopefully it will start rooting soon.

You can tell I use the rubber band trick a lot, I like it better then fishing line for some reason. Don't know why I just do :D.

If you guys got any suggest/comments/ect. Just feel free to post away.

I will keep this updated weekly or sooner.

Ben,
In regards to the net, won't trying to get it to grow dense like that have the opposite effect? I have read that the best way to grow java moss is to spread it out as much as possible so that it has even access to light. Curious how this turns out. I have attached java moss to my piece of driftwood in my tank using 4lb test fishing line, but I didn't think it would ever "root" to the wood like a java fern will.

It does root, but IME I tried fishing line and rubber bands in my other tank and the one with the rubber band rooted before the fishing line so thats why i'm using rubber bands.

The whole fishing net thing I read somewhere I just can't remember where, so I thought I would try it out.

I used rubber bands as well and it rooted in about a week. Have so much now I have to trim it and throw it away. Mine was christmas moss though. And yes, try to spread it out as much as possible early on and it will become thicker quicker IMO.

I used rubber bands as well and it rooted in about a week. Have so much now I have to trim it and throw it away. Mine was christmas moss though. And yes, try to spread it out as much as possible early on and it will become thicker quicker IMO.
Hey do you still have christmas moss? If your just throwing it out, it would be pretty cool if you could send some out my way, just so it doesn't go to waste. :D

Back
Top Bottom