Jbj nano question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ftfunnative

Aquarium Advice Activist
For those of you with the JBJ Nano cubes, did you leave the two long, rectangle black sponges in the return pump chambers?

My thought is that they put these in there to reduce possible vibrations from the return hoses.

The more I got to thinking about it, all kinds of junk could build up over time and cause issues.

Thoughts?

I think i know what you are talking about, i dont have the system though. Those are there to act as filter socks i think... Collect and grow beneficial bacteria. People use alot of differant things for the same purpose, i think you should keep them in. I could be wrong because i am not familiar with the system.

Just set mine up on Wednesday, and added my dead shrimp this morning....

I took those sponges out, as they will collect detritus and become nitrate factories, but I now understand why they were there..... If you don't fill the return pump chamber up to just under the overflow, air bubbles from the waterfall will make their way down to the return pumps, filling your tank with constant bubbles. I believe the sponges were there as bubble traps.

I'm working on a way to create a U-shaped hang-on bubble trap so I can maintain some waterfall action for gas exchange.

Back
Top Bottom