JD, Acara, Convict, Firemouth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And when you say that these fish are used to miles of space

They claim territories in the wild, or most of them do. They dont just wander around a whole river

And most of these fish that i am looking at are tank raised and not wild-caught, so its not like they are used to having miles of space (that they mostly wont use)

Again, i mean no disrespect, just voicing opinion. If i am wrong, please tell me

55 gallon SA/CA cichlid tank
29 gallon tropical community

Sent from Atlantis?

Larger bodies of water harbor less toxins. Our closed systems hold in nitrates. So when talking about multiple fish into a small tank, yes. That does make a difference. And many of the larger fish have territories much larger than the tanks we provide.

If you would really prefer a tank with multiple cichlids, I would suggest researching some of the peaceful South Americans, like keyholes, festivum, apistogramma sp , laetacara sp, nannacara sp , ivanacara sp, angels, guianacara sp, biotodoma sp. etc I personally wouldn't put any fish over 6", maybe up to 8" into a 55 gallon. Then again, I buy tanks for their floor space, and you'll rarely see me looking at a tank with less than 18" width

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Ok. The bitrates thing makes sense. I kinda disagree with the only 6 inch size limit, because a jack demosey should be able to live in a 55, but everyone gas their own opinion

Thanks

55 gallon SA/CA cichlid tank
29 gallon tropical community

Sent from Atlantis?

My opinion is 6" fish max. That is the max size fish I will put in my 75 gallon. People look at a ruler and think 6" that's not to long but then you take into consideration height 3"-4" and width 1.5" and then the 6" isn't a small fish anymore. I used to do JD's and GT's even an Oscar but then I realized its no fun having a big fish with no room to move.

My exception is growing out slow growing fish like GT's because will take more than 2 years, if it ever, to out grow a 55.

There are 100's of fun fish that fall in the 6" and under mark.

A single 8 to 10" fish can be kept in a standard 55 with no problems as long as a good water change schedule is followed. and multiple 6" fish can be kept with in reason and compatibility. How ever things can so bad quickly if maintenance is slacked on so keep that in mind when choosing stock.

Back
Top Bottom