Jeff & Ashley's 55g Long FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jrodge

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Love everyone else's tank so thought I would put up a thread on mine. The tank has been going for a month and a half. Cycle seemed to go fast than normal. We have:
  • Aqueon 55 Biowheel
  • 10g Sump W/ 5lbs. of argonite
  • Pretty good lights, came with the tank of Craiglist and plan on an upgrade in the near future
  • 40 lbs. argonite
  • About 65 lbs. of LR, I bought 20 lbs. and the rest came from a tank we adopted
Livestock:
  • 1 Humu Humu Trigger (Bob)
  • 3 Damsels ( 1 blue damsel (Blue), 1 yellow tail damsel (waldo), 1 3 striped damsel (Elvis aka A**hole)
  • 1 Twinspotted goby (Mr. Hippytyhop)
  • 2 Turbo snails
  • 2 hermit crabs
Hope you enjoy and I would like feedback on how we can make this a better system. I know I definetly am going to get a protein skimmer, more LR in the sump and better lights for possibly some corrals as the tank matures.

Attachments

• 425.jpg
    425.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 136
  • 435.jpg
    435.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 133
  • 440.jpg
    440.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 117
  • 441.jpg
    441.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 117
And the fish:

Attachments

• 437.jpg
    437.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 119
  • 436.jpg
    436.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 115
  • 438.jpg
    438.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 116
  • 432.jpg
    432.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 107
looks great! i like the aquascaping. btw, i don't know how well that trigger is going to accept coral additions without considering them on the menu.

i would also consider partitioning the sump so that you can keep the water level steady in the part of it you are going to have the live rock and/or skimmer.

also, those "pretty good lights", won't be enough for corals.

Yeah as the tank gets more established AND i get a protein skimmer/better lights/sump set up i will not even try corals. i also have a 50gallon bowfront not currently in use I could use. Partitioning the sump is a great idea though. Thanks!

Looks like a pretty good start. I`m wondering about the trigger myself with corals in the tank.

Thanks all! Might be a pipe dream about the corals since I really like Bob. Is it overstocked at all? I'm not planning on adding anything else in the near future.

Yeah as the tank gets more established AND i get a protein skimmer/better lights/sump set up i will not even try corals. i also have a 50gallon bowfront not currently in use I could use. Partitioning the sump is a great idea though. Thanks!
actually, you don't need a protein skimmer or sump to keep corals, and many people keep corals in new setups without major trouble. good water parameters is what you want to focus on. that and a little stronger lighting. ;)

Good point austinsdad, i hade 2 hermit crabs and can only find one now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom