Just a curious question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mas8394

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Straight to the point - I would like a 45 Gallon Tank, 2 Gourami, 2 Angelfish...

Extra info-

Current inhabitants-
1 Rainbowshark
1 Opaline Gourami
1 Angelfish
4 Black Neon Tetra
3 Otocinclus
I don't know how many ghost shrimp, they're hard to count and very horny
A bunch of horny danios, I think roughly 15, they're for ever giving birth to new danios and dying off.
Fairly planted tank, really heavy in the middle but light on the sides. Attempting to carpet some of the gravel.

Personal info-

I received the shark, 2 Opaline Gouramis, and the Angelfish all at the same time roughly 4 months ago. They were real small and young, babies if not juveniles. About 3 months in, one of the Opaline Gouramis decided to contract Sudden Death Syndrome. I literally watched her swim into a floating log and never come out. Ever since the death, the other Opaline either boredly swims about (not as lively) or schools with the Angelfish. Issue here is, the Gourami is growing a lot faster than my Angel, and is much larger. I would like to see my Opaline swim along with another Opaline, but fear that adding another Opaline would erupt in violence. I also would like to add in another Angelfish but also fear the same thing - violence. The Shark usually stays in her cave and seems to only threaten shrimp. The Gourami is roughly 4-5 inches long, but the Angel isn't more than 3 inches in any direction. There's currently no violence between the 2 schooling together. The Angel is categorized to not grow above 6".

Sorry for bad grammar and spelling. I type fast, and don't like to revise my paragraphs :p.

I've also owned fish tanks since I was 5, aided by a professional (uncle) who owned a salt water tank, so roughly 15 years experience already!:dance: I just never delved out of Betta's and schooling fish until the last year or so (when I started working and could afford too experiment).

Adding Angels to other Angels is ALWAYS a gamble on how they will get along.

There are ways to assist in the transition.

Often you get several Angels and then let them pair up and keep the pair and rehome the rest, or retank them to another tank for breeding.

Then there is the pick one Angel of the opposite sex to try and see if they pair up. Or just get only males.

Move things around in the tank add the fish, allow them to establish their own space.

Or remove the original occupant, move things around put in the new guy, then the next day or 2 add the original one back in.

One time I was successful, one time not. I have one in QT right now and I am really dreading trying to get them all together. :eek:

Mine are full grown in the tank and the new guy is a like a older teenager.

I have kept Opaline and Pearl no problem, but they did their own thing and never really hung out together. They came from 2 different places one was raised from a juvenile and the other was an adoption. Both mellow though.

Also had a mature Red Tail Shark (RTS). As long as there are great paths aka race tracks for him it should work out. I made sure there was a figure 8 type pathway, and the perimeter at the glass were open for movement. Avoiding any places the shark could trap another fish in.

There are always differing personalities so you never know.

I will second that adding another angel is a gamble. Do you happen to have an additional tank someplace you could us to separate fish into in case they fight? A fish of the same size is more likely to be accepted. They will still have to figure out a pecking order, even with just 2.
With gouramis, there is a lot of variability in temperament by individual. With opalines though, that is less likely to explode into violence, though still possible. It sounds like yours is maybe on the mellow end though if he is still chilling with the angel. It could change as the fish gets older. Do you happen to know the gender of yours?
Bluntly, use caution and make sure to have a plan in case it doesn't work out. I have a 20g I switch angels into depending on the circumstances.

Last edited:
How large is the shark? 45 gallons is on the small side for an adult, and they can get quite territorial as they grow. Mine was super friendly with everyone until it hit around the 4-5" mark. That's when it started chasing everyone that came anywhere near it's tree trunk. My opaline gourami is the usual chase target, but thankfully she has enough space to stay out of the shark's way since I have a 75g. I'd worry about having 2 gourami with a shark in a 45g. You may luck out and get a mellow shark, but keep a close eye on them after the tank lights turn out.

If you choose to add another gourami, make sure it's the opposite gender of what you have now. Gourami sorority groups can work, but usually only if you have 5+ to diffuse the pecking order aggression across the group. Two males will fight until one dies of stress. The only results that are somewhat reliable for a pair is M/F. Mixing species is also hit or miss. I kept 1 female pearl with 4 three spot color morph females and they never really liked each other... The thing that kept the peace best was the fact that the tank was big enough that the pearl could be at one end while the group of 4 were spread out across the other, and they all sort of had a pecking order sorted out. So if you're looking for companionship, mixing species isn't the way to go.

I second the others on recommending against trying to add another angel now that the one you have is established... Angels are territorial and unpredictable unless juveniles or paired. If you do go ahead with it, have a backup plan in case it doesn't work.

The Shark is no less than 5" long. As long as no one goes INSIDE her cave, she doesn't bother anyone. The only fish I've seen go in her cave and she doesn't attack are Otocinclus and Zebra Danios. Usually doesn't bother any who go near it.

Back
Top Bottom