Just a friendly reminder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emilygupps

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Please remember to khuli loach proof your filters. We had to change our canister and completely forgot to put mesh over the slits. Today I found a male loach stuck in the holes in two places. Still alive. I was able to get him free by cutting the slats but I think he is going to die.

What a painful reminder. I may have to euthanize him unless I can find a loach friendly way to reduce the inflammation. I can't tell if his back is broken or not. Sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Please remember to khuli loach proof your filters. We had to change our canister and completely forgot to put mesh over the slits. Today I found a male loach stuck in the holes in two places. Still alive. I was able to get him free by cutting the slats but I think he is going to die.

What a painful reminder. I may have to euthanize him unless I can find a loach friendly way to reduce the inflammation. I can't tell if his back is broken or not. Sigh.

I'm so sorry to hear this :( We all make mistakes, I've had more loaches than I care to admit end up in filters.

For what it's worth, if your kuhli pulls through, even if his back is broken he might still live a good life. I had a kuhli that somehow ended up being paralyzed from around 2/3rds of the way down his body to his tail. He still managed to get around ok and he lived a long and happy life. I hope he makes it, best of luck

I'm so sorry to hear this :( We all make mistakes, I've had more loaches than I care to admit end up in filters.

For what it's worth, if your kuhli pulls through, even if his back is broken he might still live a good life. I had a kuhli that somehow ended up being paralyzed from around 2/3rds of the way down his body to his tail. He still managed to get around ok and he lived a long and happy life. I hope he makes it, best of luck

Thank you for your kind words. He died while I was searching the fish room for zip ties to fix the fish net over the filter. Poor guy. It must have been really painful.

Sorry about the loach. Definitely something to keep in mind should I get a canister filter. I have nano fish so I would be addressing this for the same reason.
Regarding kuhli loaches and HOB filters...do they swim "salmon style" up the filter overflow?

Sorry about the loach. Definitely something to keep in mind should I get a canister filter. I have nano fish so I would be addressing this for the same reason.
Regarding kuhli loaches and HOB filters...do they swim "salmon style" up the filter overflow?

I have not had that problem. We run two HOB filters and the canister running on this tank since we have clown loaches too. And when we first got the 180 we had crazy nitrate problems and eventually found like 6 dead khulis in the canister filter all dead. But never seen them try to swim up the water fall or have we found them in the filter during maintenance.

It was awful. I would have taken a picture but it was really upsetting for me to see and I was focused on getting him out, he went in the slats and then tried to swim out of an other slat so he was stuck in two separate places. The swelling was awful.

I only noticed him because the danios were gasping for air (we are trying a new diffuser for the co2) so I went to adjust it and noticed him stuck.

I've never seen a kuhli loach do that, but I have had a couple of yoyo loaches do it.

Also a good thing to do for shrimp and puffers. I'm very, very sorry to hear about your kuhli loach :( They are great fish and it sucks to lose them. My dwarf puffers get sucked to the intake sometimes, I'm overdue on getting a pre-filter intake sponge. For shrimp adults are okay but the little baby shrimp will most likely get sucked into the filter and die there. So sorry about your fish. It happens though and we all make mistakes.

You don't know how many Mystery snails my aqua clear 110 has killed in my tank. Nerites, no problem. But for some reason mystery snails are drawn to it like moths to a lightbulb. It really has me stumped because I can't find a single similar instance online about it. Hmm... I just don't have mystery snails any more in that tank but I love my zebra and horned nerites. So sorry about the fish. I hate finding out a fish has sustained an injury and have to watch him suffer. :( On the bright side now you know and now you won't loose any more after covering the intake. :flowers:

For shrimp adults are okay but the little baby shrimp will most likely get sucked into the filter and die there.

Ive actually had babies survive getting sucked into the filer and start their own colony on the inside. When I cleaned out the filter I had about 15-20 adult red cherry shrimp+ babies hanging out on the inside. :eek:

Ive actually had babies survive getting sucked into the filer and start their own colony on the inside. When I cleaned out the filter I had about 15-20 adult red cherry shrimp+ babies hanging out on the inside. :eek:

Wow! That's awesome! Not taking any risks with mine though.

I've had the same experience with ghost shrimp! We just check the HOB every few days and scoop out any babies we can find. They seem pretty happy eating off of the bio ball pad things.

You don't know how many Mystery snails my aqua clear 110 has killed in my tank. Nerites, no problem. But for some reason mystery snails are drawn to it like moths to a lightbulb. It really has me stumped because I can't find a single similar instance online about it. Hmm... I just don't have mystery snails any more in that tank but I love my zebra and horned nerites. So sorry about the fish. I hate finding out a fish has sustained an injury and have to watch him suffer. :( On the bright side now you know and now you won't loose any more after covering the intake. :flowers:

I've had the same thing happen with mystery snails. But on the power head. The pond snails and MTS too, though they're of less concern.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom