Just got a 46G bowfront.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
when i started

when i started in this hobby i was using a walmart hang on back filter that was not efficiant i was using 2 filter cartiges a month. i also had only gravel in my aquarium and fake plants.

then i started researching and bought some plantable substrait and mixed it with my gravel. i also bought a better filter an aquaclear hang on back filter. i was still changing cartriges every month. i was having trouble with fish waste collecting in the bottom of the aquarium. i also introduced live plants. i was gravel vaccuming all the time. i had the stock light fixture and it was considered to be low light.

so finally two and a half years later. i have a beautiful system. i have a high out put light. i also use good substrait. i use a canister filter and a circulation fan. i only have to change my filter every three months. i only gravel vaccum about every 5-6 months. my plants grow at a rate of new leaves every week. the only thing i have to do daily is feed the fish. i still do partial water changes weekly.

here are pictures of my tank changing over the past few years.

notice the filtration problems in the first two photos. i had issues with keeping the filters functioning. they would cause bacteria blooms and water quality issues. i also was changing my filers every two weeks at some point. it is a 36 gallon bow front and i was using filter systems rated for much bigger aquariums. the first filter i was using which was from walmart was rated for a 55 gallon and it always caused issues. the aquaclear worked better and it was rated for a 70 gallon aquarium. now i use a canister filter a fluval 305 and my water is crystal clear and never has issues.

I use a top fin filter at the moment and my water is crystal clear. The tank is understocked though. I want to upgrade to a fluval c3 or c4 or maybe even a sump! (evil grin)

recommendations

here are some things i recommend for the 46 gallon bow front.

i would use the carib sea super naturals black sand and carib sea floramax. i would mix them 50% each. so you get half and half.

I would also recommened finding a T5 high output plant light bulbs and fixture that will fit this aquarium.

One of my tanks is a 46 bow front I have dirt covered with flourite heavily planted with an over the top t5 fixture works for me :)

I already have a filter, it's the Penguin bio-wheel 350. I bought black sand. Not sure of the brand, I'll post tonight.. The light is stock

Fishkeeper88,

I will be very interested in looking at / reading about your design. I have a 46 gallon bow front and a new fluval 306. Right now I'm looking for ideas for the tank, it will be the future home of two angelfish and two rams (both living in a 29 G at the moment)

This is my 46 gallon bowfront tank took me ages to get it right

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111211_214925.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111211_214925.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 56
it looks really nice, do you mind telling me about the plants and light you are using? I'm not sure if I'm buying a new light any time soon, right now I have the stock light (which I think is ~ 36 watts); however, the reflector makes it look brighter. Besides I don't have any high light plants. I only have an amazon sword a couple of anubias and some wisteria, the plants have been growing great in my 29 gallon which has a 6700 K, 14 watt T5 bulb, and a grow bulb.
BTW what's the name of the red plant it looks pretty cool.

I have a duo 39w t5 fixture with reflectors, it has dirt under flourite

The plants are one huge amazon sword, anubias , java fern, a lot of hygrophilia polysperma, some pygmy chain sword, vallis spiralis, amazon frogbit,

The red plant is red ludwigia I have about 50 stems in there

Hope this help :)

Xand3r said:
it looks really nice, do you mind telling me about the plants and light you are using? I'm not sure if I'm buying a new light any time soon, right now I have the stock light (which I think is ~ 36 watts); however, the reflector makes it look brighter. Besides I don't have any high light plants. I only have an amazon sword a couple of anubias and some wisteria, the plants have been growing great in my 29 gallon which has a 6700 K, 14 watt T5 bulb, and a grow bulb.
BTW what's the name of the red plant it looks pretty cool.

Here is a better view
ForumRunner_20111211_222446.jpg

I have EcoComplete in my 29 but I want to use sand in the 46, I've heard that it is easier to clean, but I just don't want to get anything until I'm 100% sure that's the way I'm going. how does the dirt thing work, what kind of dirt do you use?

Xand3r said:
I have EcoComplete in my 29 but I want to use sand in the 46, I've heard that it is easier to clean, but I just don't want to get anything until I'm 100% sure that's the way I'm going. how does the dirt thing work, what kind of dirt do you use?

I use miracle gro organic choice porting mix in this tank but in my 75 gallon I use Arthur bower aquatic compost which is just dirt aswell to be honest I get better results using Arthur bowers, it works great I get amazing growth from my plants they love it

Back
Top Bottom