Just got my light in...what now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Visionist

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got in my dual t5-ho light for my 20 gallon long. Light totals 48w.
My only problem is I don't want to run the light yet for fear of algae since I have no plants. What is my best course of action to start running this light? Is 48w too much? The lights are 6500k.

When changing over to a better light, I always start off running it for only a short amount of time a day, going longer every few days. Like I'd run it today and the next few days for 2 hours, then bump it up to 4, then a few days later up to 6 until I get to the photo period I want. I found doing it that way helped keep the algae bloom to a minimum.

Is there a list of good high light plants anywhere?

Sent from my LG-D803 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Most all plants can grow in higher light but you can go to a site like AquariumPlants.com and go through the plants and see what you like and their light preference. ExtraPlants.com is also a good site to do this on.

Also remember that in higher light tanks you need to use either CO2 or liquid carbon and and preferably dry ferts to supply all the micro and macro nutrients plants need.

You can also get some screen to put over the tank to cut the amount of light intensity down in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom