Just got my 'shaving brushes'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gilraen

Aquarium Advice Freak
This thigns are so cute, like little trees!! :D I buried them (the base) in the sand about 1/2 inch. They don't move--right? being plants and all... just wondering... I know they feed from the light. Does anybody own some of these that can give me more info about them? Thanks a bunch :D :D :D

My experience with these was not positive. They started to shed and made a huge mess in the tank. I had them under VHO lighting and they were not happy. Also, they contaminate the tank quickly when they start to die off.

I hope your work out as it was an attractive plant.

I see they require moderate lighting, would they do well say under NO lighting?
If so I may have to look into some of these, they are very attractive!

I have also kept shaving brushes and have had a negative experience. Within the first few weeks of placing them in the tank, they started multiplying like crazy. Every day it seemed like another stalk was growing from the substrate. However, after a month or so, they just kind of melted away and died. From what I understand, shaving brushes require water that is loaded with nutrients (phosphate and nitrate) in order to survive. As mentioned above, they also prefer less intense lighting that is lower in the spectrum than what most people use on reef tanks. (somewhere around 5500K). HTH

I like many have had negative results from my shaving brushes, but i feel it was due to my salfin tang niping at them every day.

They are really cool. Hope that urs do well.

Thanks all for your reply, I'll keep my eye on them just in case they start to die. If they live out of nitrates then they are going to starve in my tank 'cause I have 0 nitrates... I'll let you all know how it goes. So far I have no pics, but the biggest one is about 5" tall and the smallest one about 3 1/2". Thanks again :D

Oh! how do I know they are dying? I'm thinking the brushes fall off? or turn white or black??? :?:

My experience with them wasn't great either. Like already mentioned, they start to shed/fall apart. I had them under pc lights. I hope your luck is better.

This morning 3 out of 5 brushes are looking white, 1 of the is shedding, I guess is dying :evil: I wonder, do I take it out now or wait until all brushes fall out? I'm hoping they will revive...2 of them are looking quite nice. Thanks :D

How did this all turn out?
I really want to use a variety of macro stuff in my new tank, but don't want to waste time.money on something that won't make it heh

Back
Top Bottom