Just got platys from petsmart(3)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beansoup1999

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey were doing great when we put them in, then one of them started to swim weird and go to the bottom of the tank Side ways. When I woke up this morning they were all dead. I don't understand.

Platys

Hey were doing great when we put them in, then one of them started to swim weird and go to the bottom of the tank Side ways. When I woke up this morning they were all dead. I don't understand.

Hello Bean...

You don't give any specific tank information in your post. If your fish died so quickly, I'd be asking if the water was treated for ammonia, chlorine and chloramine.

B

Not yet, it was a tank that my grandfather found in his garage that was my uncle's, we think he put a lizard or something in it after the fish died. Even though the sticker on the bottom of the tank says aquarium.

Your New Tank

Not yet, it was a tank that my grandfather found in his garage that was my uncle's, we think he put a lizard or something in it after the fish died. Even though the sticker on the bottom of the tank says aquarium.

Well Bean...

Water straight from the tap has traces of ammonia, chlorine and chloramines that the city puts in the water to make is safe for us to drink. Those chemicals are toxic to aquarium fish and must be removed. So, that's likely the reason your fish died.

B

Did you cycle your tank? Tell us more about your setup and what if anything you did prior to putting the fish in.
SOUNDS LIKE UNTREATED NEW TANK SYNDROME

Back
Top Bottom