Just need some basics :-D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So what do I go by when i see a plant I like? On liveaquaria its says moderate for instance and 2wpg. Which plants should I be looking at? I've found quite a few moderate lighting ones but not sure if I would have that.

I guess this is kinda my build thread. lol I hope you guys don't mind me just throwing out my questions. :-D

How deep should the substrate be in a 10g? I plan on using the flourite or a similar black one. I believe they come in 20lb bags as far as i can find. Would deep be ok in a planted tank?

I've also done some serious research on the plants I like and have a basic list of where to start. Kinda unsure how many plants I can initially put in. I have like 9 I think spread over like 4-5 species.

Can't wait to start this and see what all the hub bub is about this planted tank thing!

Oh, one more thing. Snails. While I wouldn't mind having a cool large one in the tank I don't want the nuisance snails people get with plants. I've heard there are fish that eat them. Any ideas?

Thanks for the ongoing support of my habit folks!

For substrate depth, 2-4" is fine.

9 plants might be a bit crowded (remember, they will grow in), but it won't hurt anything if you decide to go with that.

Snails... there really aren't fish that will eat them that are suitable for a 10g tank. Your best bet, if you are worried about it, is to do an alum or h2o2 dip on all plants before adding them to the tank, or you will end up with them. You might still end up with them anyway... so long as you don't over feed, they really aren't a problem. I have them in both of my 5.5 gal tanks, and occasionally will remove 5 or 6 with some forceps if I see them on the glass... but generally I just leave them be, and they don't cause problems at all. If you overfeed the tank however, they can and will get quickly out of control.

Back
Top Bottom