just started 56gal tank- coworker offered me a 90gal !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marie74

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought a 56 gal column style drilled corner Flo tank off cl 2 weeks ago... came with a couple.pieces of live rock and sand. It has a wetdry sump filter. I added a reef octupus bh100 skimmer. Everything seems to be going well enough.. but I am still getting my feet wet so to speak. Today a coworker offers me a 90 gallon.. tank only for$50. Seems like a good deal... but what would I need to get a 90 up and running? I have a fluval canister..not sure if I could use that. I would need a top, lighting.... probably a better skimmer....

I bought a 56 gal column style drilled corner Flo tank off cl 2 weeks ago... came with a couple.pieces of live rock and sand. It has a wetdry sump filter. I added a reef octupus bh100 skimmer. Everything seems to be going well enough.. but I am still getting my feet wet so to speak. Today a coworker offers me a 90 gallon.. tank only for$50. Seems like a good deal... but what would I need to get a 90 up and running? I have a fluval canister..not sure if I could use that. I would need a top, lighting.... probably a better skimmer....

Probably just better equipment since its a bigger tank but idk 50 bucks is really cheap for a 90g be careful

I trust that it will hold water. He is a baseball coach, 3 kids, all around nice guy.. wants to clean out his basement- game room for the kids.

My thoughts- is it worth the $$ for equipment to upgrade to a 90.

current tank- 30x18x24, predrilled, sump...

90gal standard, not drilled = 48x18x24, right? so what can I do with the extra 18" length that I can't do with my current tank?

but.. it would need a bigger skimmer, more lights, etc...
I'm thinking of buying it, and putting it in the basement for a couple months while I get the current one going. It has only been going for 2 weeks, way to early to even add a coral....

Well i would say that two takes is alot of work if they are in different areas. I have one on my 2nd floor and one in my basement and I am currently combining them because I just cant keep up with the work involved. My suggestion would be If you just want a small reef with a few fish I would spend the money upgrading your current tank because you could deffinitly use some upgrades in equipment.

Also why do oyu have a Hang on the back skimmer if the tank is drilled? do you not have a sump?

I have a wet/dry filter because that is what the tank came with. It is a proclear aquatics with bioballs. I have a reef octopus bh100 HOB skimmer because I got it off CL cheap. it works fine. I didn't even know about in sump skimmers... I'm pretty new at this. I already have a 55FW tank in the basement family room, so if I get a 90 it would go downstairs also.... the one upstairs is the 56 column- 30" wide. Can't really put anything wider than that upstairs... too many windows. I might take the tank and just put it in the basement for the future.. I know I can get pretty into a hobby. I might get this going and want to go bigger. but for now I am still learning. I did get more live rock, and a powerhead, so the 56g tank is coming along. I will need better lighting, as it only has a versatop and a basic CF fixture for now.

Back
Top Bottom